Chapter 2

Angrily, I stormed up to my laboratory. The fury was raging inside me, the only thing filling the gaping hollowness inside of me. I burst through the doors and locked them beside me, grabbing equipment and setting out the blueprints once again.

I found all the right pieces and set them out, getting my tools out. This was Dan's idea in the first place he would have wanted this work to be finished, so I will. 

A world without Dan is one I can't live in ... I needed to get out of there.

So ... I was leaving ... that world. If I could get it to work then I'd be out of there as quick as possible, anything to numb the pain. 

--- 2 days later ---

I haden't eaten or slept in at all. I put all my energy into finishing the portal and I only had a few finishing touches to do. I needed to hook the power source up to the generator to create the fusion which would hopefully rip a hole in the universe to a parallel universe.

If my calculations were correct.

Even if they aren't and I fall into a void of nothingness I wouldn't care. If Dan's not here with me then there's nothing left for me here

I hooked wires up this way and that, making sure everything fit exactly where it needed to. After a good hour or so the machine was ready to test. I picked up the button which would be the final test. I sighed, before I planned on going inside I needed to see if it actually worked. 

I picked up my extra mobile device and put it inside the portal, I had another one in case I broke it. I was naturally quite a clumsy person, even in the laboratory. I flicked a few switches and watched as flashes of electricity flashes along each wire.

I breathed in a deep breath and slammed my fist down on the button. There was a large flash which I had to cover my eyes from and a high pitched zap and then ... 

I opened my eyes and looked inside the machine. I nearly jumped for joy when I saw it had vanished, not destroyed at all. That settled it, I didn't care where my mobile went, I had to go along with it. I tucked my blue prints inside my pocket just in case someone else got their hands on it and hopped into the machine.

I closed my eyes and breathed out a sigh. This is it, my death or the trip to discovery. The discovery didn't sound as appealing as it used to because Dan wasn't there beside me. I sniffed and slammed my hand down on the button.

Electricity surged around me and a light flashed around me. The ascending noise of the zap rang in my ear and suddenly I felt a sting course through my body and I let out a small yell as my body was flung this way and that, filling with pain.

---

---

"THUD!" I groaned as my body made contact with something solid. I don't know how long I had been suspended in mid air having bolts of electricity travel through me but it was over. I slowly open my eyes and saw blue sky.

I squinted as the bright light blinded me and I pushed myself to sit up, shaking slightly. I looked around curiously and saw green grass and trees surrounding a small lake. As I looked closely I saw ducks and a few swans swimming around and small benches sitting around it. 

People walked about, laughing and goofing about whilst dog chased balls around. Soon, I realized I was in a park. Luckily, no one had seen me since I had ended up behind a small clump of trees. I stood up and dusted myself off. 

I needed to see what was different to this world, already the atmosphere felt different. There was no sight of aliens so I was sure that is was definitely a parallel world to our own. I walked around the park a bit, feeling self conscious when a few people took in my appearance.

I soon realized I was still in my black jumpsuit and looked round at the casual jeans and shirts everyone was wearing. Clearly I was behind a few centuries, because we wore more 'space age' type stuff as they'd probably put it.

Suddenly a thought crossed my mind.

In parallel worlds there are duplicates of ourselves. Which mean ... another Dan. A stupid smile crossed my lips at the thought. It soon vanished when I realized there'd be another one of me. What if I was famous in this world too? Would I have to keep my head low? What would happen?

I gulped at these thoughts and hid behind my hair just in case, but it didn't help much as people continued to stare at my weird choice in clothing. I blushed furiously until I got to the entrance/exit to the park. I walked onto a street and stared wide eyed at the concrete buildings and houses.

I knew at once I was far from home, where we come from our building are made of metal and glass, way more modern than those buildings. I recognized this place as London a several decades before everything had become more high tech.

I glanced at a newspaper and frowned as I saw the date ... exactly the same to my world ... then that means ... they're the same year as us only less advanced as my world. I bet they haven't even discovered how to stop global warming yet.

I went to turn down the street when I heard someone call my name. I froze ... it couldn't be ...

"PHIL!" 

I spun around to see a tall slim man running in my direction. His chocolate coloured hair was blowing slightly in the breeze against his tanned forehead and skin. His hazel and cinnamon eyes glinted in the rare sun and a dimpled smile complimented his features. He had black skinny jeans on and a black shirt with a white eclipse ring around the middle. 

"Dan ..." I breathed.