Chapter 5 - Chupacabra

Start from the beginning

"We know, buddy," Ariana told him. "We all are."

"Why don't I get them something to eat?" Carol asked. "Ed's into all this survival stuff. We've got enough MREs to feed a small army."

"Thank you," Damion told her.

"We'd sure appreciate it," Lori told her.

Carol walked around the car, walking toward the driver side. "No trouble."

Carol opened the door.

Ed closed it. He whispered angrily. "What in the hell did you tell her that for? We don't even know these damn people."

"These kids are hungry," Carol told him. "We can spare one box for them."

"It's called operational security," Ed told her. "How long do you think this stuff is gonna last if you keep running your damn mouth off to everybody we meet?"

"I'm sorry," Carol told him. "I wasn't thinking."

Carol walked away from him.

Ariana looked at Shane and Damion. "You getting anything?"

"There's nothing," Shane answered.

"Big surprise there," Lori told them sarcastically.

"No, I mean there's nothing," Shane told them. "Emergency broadcast system stopped, and that recording about the refugee center. It's all gone."

Damion got out of the car. "I'm gonna go up the road, see what I can see." He looked at Lori. "Can you watch over Lucy for me?"

Lori nodded. "Of course."

"Thanks," Damion told her. "Hey, Lu, I'm gonna go for a minute, you'll stay here with Lori and her family till I get back, okay?"

Lucy nodded. "Okay."

Shane got out of the car, looking at Damion. "I'll come with you."

Damion nodded.

Shane and Damion started to walk away.

Carol walked toward Lori with a box. "Ed must have forgot to pack those MREs. I found these in my purse."

"It's all right," Lori told her. "Thank you."

Lucy and Carl walked toward Lori, Sam and Ariana.

"Look, guys," Sam told them, nodding to the box in Lori's hands.

Lucy and Carl smiled.

°~•~°

Elsewhere

Shane and Damion were walking between the cars and people.

"Why would they stop broadcasting about the refugee center?" Damion asked.

Shane shrugged. "I don't know."

"Think they're turning people away?" Damion asked.

"They're gonna have a riot on their hands if they try," Shane answered. "Let's go."

Damion and Shane continued to walk.

°~•~°

Elsewhere

Lori, Sam, Ariana, Carl, Lucy, Sophia, Carol and Ed were standing next to their cars.