fifty-two

Start from the beginning

I walk into the closet and pick up the dress that I wore last night off the ground, and hang it up so it doesn't get any more wrinkled. After putting on some skinny jeans and a sweater, I take my still curled hair out of its ponytail and shake it out with my fingers.

When I get to the kitchen, Tobias hands me a warm cup of coffee and presses a kiss to my lips. Zeke and Shauna grabbed us all some food on the way over, and my stomach is growling—loud. The four of us chow down on the food, and then Shaun and I make Zeke and Tobias grab the boxes labeled 'XMAS' out of the spare bedroom closet.

They complain each time they bring another box in, earning giggles and 'shut up's from me and Shauna. It takes both boys to carry the big fake tree in, although one of them could carry it if they really wanted to. I have them set it up in the corner next to the sliding screen door that leads to the balcony.

It's easy for me to wrap the lights around the trees on the bottom and middle, but once it starts inching towards the top, I make Tobias help me.

Tobias leans down for a kiss as I hand the bunch of lights to him. I quickly peck his lips and end up smiling so wide that I feel as if it takes up my whole face.
𖤐  𖤐  𖤐  𖤐  𖤐
It's been a few weeks now, and I'm on Christmas break. As of yesterday, actually. In class yesterday we just watched a bunch of Christmas movies and drank hot chocolate and made crafts. Those are always the best days at school; they were definitely my favorite when I was younger.

I've been feeling a bit off the past few days, a little nauseous here and there, but that hasn't stuck around very long when it has shown up. Also, I've been super tired. Like, ridiculously tired. Sure I've been going to bed pretty late recently, but I've always done that. It's not new, my body should be accustomed to it, I'd think.

I crawl out of bed and throw on a Cubs hoodie because it's like actually freezing in here. I catch a glimpse of the tons of snow dumping on Chicago as I pass by the large sliding glass door and I keep heading to the kitchen to pour myself a cup of coffee.

As I'm splashing some creamer into my mug, a wave a nausea hits me. My eyes shut instantly, and I bend over the sink in case anything decides to come up. I hear feet stepping towards me, but I keep my head in the sink. Tobias starts rubbing my back, gentle and soothing until the nausea passes and I slowly stand up again.

I bury myself in his arms, feeling embarrassed about being sick, even though I know I shouldn't be.

"Hey, babe. Look at me," Tobias takes my face in his hands. "Why are you hiding?"

I mumble something incoherent, something I meant to be, "I don't know."

"In sickness and in health right? I made a promise to take care of you, and I plan on keeping that promise," he tells me, keeping those big blue eyes on mine and smiling a bit at the end. My mouth twists into a small smile too, and I hug him again. "I have to go baby, I'll be back around four, okay?"

I nod, blushing. He hasn't called me 'baby' in years. Probably since the first few months that we started dating. "I'll see you soon," I reply.

"Take it easy today, yeah? I don't want you getting any worse." He places a kiss to my temple and then ones to my lips.

"I love you," I say, following him over to the front door where his stuff is. He slings his backpack over his shoulder and gives me one more, long kiss. I smile at him as he walks into the hallways and shut the door behind him.

Then, I grab my coffee and plop down on the couch. Turning the tv to TLC's Say Yes to the Dress, I pull a blanket over me and lay down. It's not long before Auggie comes running up to me and jumps on the couch. I pick up my laptop from the coffee table set is on my lap while opening it up.