Chapter 13 - Streaking

Start from the beginning

He keeps going. "You don't have to be embarrassed or ashamed. I won't tell anyone."

"Michael," I look at him closely. I put my hands on his shoulders. "Nothing happened." I shake the words into him so he'll believe me. "It was just some mean people. I'm not hurt, I just... don't want to get into it right now."

He seems relieved. He pulls me into a hug. "That's good, because it means I can finally tell you what I've been meaning to this whole time." He holds me closer and rests his chin on the top of my head. "I told you so."

I pull away. "Are you serious?"

"What? I'm just saying. You should've stayed and played Morph with me."

"Not now Michael." I listen hard for the sound of an intrusion. We need the box cutters. The scissors. The knives. I'm about to tell him as much, that we need to go back downstairs to the kitchen and raid Mom's drawers for anything silver, but he cuts me off.

"It's almost like karma don't you think," he says to himself, walking grandly into his room. "Liars never prosper or something like that." He grins, looking over his shoulder maliciously.

"Michael." I glare at him, following. Our lives are in jeopardy for crying out loud. Not that he would know, but still.

He looks surprised. "What?"

We're under attack, by werewolves. The words just don't flow from the mouth as smoothly as one would assume. I just can't say it. I don't even believe it myself, and I'm the eyewitness. I can't see how telling him would make it any better. Would he even believe me? There's a difference between lunchroom speculation and genuine belief.

I walk past him and look out his window. It's nearly pitch black outside, but I can still tell that there's no one in front of the house. They either left, or they're hiding.

Michael looks over my shoulder. "Is our house going to be TPed or something? What did you do?"

I make up my mind. "Nothing, just..." I look around the room for something to distract him while I go downstairs. I see his game is still on the TV, paused. "You're still playing?"

He follows my gaze. "Yeah."

"Did you reach the next level?" I check the windows again.

"Of course, no thanks to you." He stares proudly at the screen.

I look back at him. "Oh yeah? How'd you manage that?"

"Easily," he smirks, pressing a few buttons to show me his stats. "I've found someone to play with online."

I cock my head back. "You ditched me? You're cheating on me now?"

He waves me off. "You snooze you lose, honey. Someone more appreciative just snatched me up."

I deserved that. I frown. Maybe if I'd stayed home, none of this would've happened. We're in some real bs now. I look at him sadly. "I'm sorry for today."

"Oh?" he smirks.

I frown. There goes my compassion. "My part of it at least, because you did sort of overreact." I kind of wish I didn't say that last part, on account of the fact that it could be the last apology I ever get the chance to give him, but apologies are apologies after all. And I meant it.

He gives me a look, but I see the smile he's fighting. He looks away and stays silent for a while. "It's alright. You've gotta spread your wings or whatever. I get it. Leave me home with our four kids." He uses his old lady voice.

I laugh at the way he says it, reducing our parents to children.

He grins, but then it falters. "I'm just sorry it didn't go as well as planned."