“They can’t come anymore babe but you will still have fun with Joan and Garry”

“I need bunny”

“You do?”

“To show Joan”

Cheryl’s smile gets wider and she strokes her hair. “Let your mum get you dressed and then you can make bunny look presentable. She’s meeting the family!”

                                                                         ***

The doorbell rings not long after getting Paisley changed into her pyjamas, I was going to put her in new clothes but what’s the point? She will be in bed soon anyways. Cheryl quickly jogs down the stairs to meet me and Paisley in the living room she’s grinning from ear to ear her dimples getting deeper as the seconds pass. “They’re here!”

“I guessed by the bell” I laugh nervously and she crosses the room to rub my arm.

“Just relax” She laughs before kissing my head. “Like I’ve said a hundred times they will love you, come on” She holds out her hand and I take it. She drags me into the hallway and I can already hear the thick Geordie accents from the other side of the sturdy wooden door. “Ready? My lot can be a crazy bunch”

I laugh and nod. “I’m used to crazy families”

I fix a huge but natural smile onto my face as she reaches and opens the door. “Hi! Come in!” Cheryl beams stepping aside to let the Geordies shuffle through into the house.

“Hi, you must be Cheryl’s mum?” I take the gift bags from Joan that’s hanging from both her hands and she smiles at me appreciatively. “I’m Kimberley, it’s nice to finally meet you” I hold out my hand to shake hers but instead she pulls me forward and she wraps both arms around me hugging me tightly.

“It’s lovely to meet you too pet, our Cheryl has never stopped going on about you”

I blush and nudge into Cheryl’s side.

“D’you blame us? Look at her”

“Cheryl!” I giggle bashfully feeling my cheeks turn red.

“I don’t like” The young looking man I’m guessing is Garry says giving me a cheeky wink. He looks so much like Cheryl! Joan simply rolls her eyes and shakes her head as if she’s used to his stupid comments.

“Garry! Eyes off she’s mine!” Cheryl points a finger at him and gives it a wiggle.

“I’m not a piece of meat you know” I gasp and everyone laughs.

“Did you get here alright?” I ask and they both nod.

“Aye it took a while with the traffic like but we’re here”

“So where’s this Paisley I’ve been hearing so much about?” Joan asks looking around the hallway.

“She’s just in there; will I take your coats?”

“Thanks love” She smiles and they both hand me their coats. I glance at them making their way into the front room and as Joan goes past Cheryl she gives her a wink. I hang them up then quickly join them in the living room. I feel stupid feeling so nervous. They all seem so nice up to now, I was expecting them to be rough intimidating Geordies but in fact they are the total opposite.

Paisley sheepishly crosses the living room over to Cheryl and stands against her side. Cheryl lifts her onto her hip and smiles from Paisley to Joan. “This is me beautiful Paisley” Cheryl beams proudly and Paisley grins showing them each of her pearly white baby teeth in the front of her mouth.