Chapter 2

It felt like it had taken forever, but you finally made it to Camp Campbell. On the way, your leg was really starting to hurt, so you walked most of the trip, causing your extended journey. You started to head towards the camp site. The sun was just starting to rise, which meant everyone was probably asleep at the moment. Getting closer, you read the sign of the place; it said: "CAMP CAMP." Oh wait. No, it said: "CAMP CAMPBELL" except the 'bell' part was practically nonexistent. Now that you have a closer look at the place, it actually looks kinda shitty. Though you'd much rather be anywhere else than your dreadful house, so this camp would have to do.

You yawned as you started to look for any adults around. You had forgotten how tired you were; not even a wink of sleep for more than 24 hours. You must look awful, you sure felt awful. But when was the last time you didn't  feel awful about yourself? 

Before you could think further, you looked to your right to hear a door slam open from a nearby camp house. You watched a man step outside in one swift step, he looked at the sky with his hands on his hips, and wearing the biggest smile you have ever seen on a human being. You stared at the man in awe as he took a deep breath in, before shouting, "good morning, world! It's another beautiful day in Camp Campbell!"

The tall man looked to his left, and his smile was immediately replaced with a look of confusion. You sheepishly smiled and waved, which caused the man's beaming grin to return once again. He waved back and walked towards you, "hi there!" He said in a cheerful tone, "what brings you down here in this neck of the woods, little lady?"

"I'm uh.." You hadn't had a lie planned out yet as to why you were here without an adult, or without telling anyone you were even showing up, so you just quickly spurred out, "m-my dad signed me up for the adventure camp.. My papers must have gotten lost in the mail..or something." 

"Well, that's quite alright! I'll just contact your da-"

"You can't contact him!" You quickly interrupted, startling the man from your sudden outburst. You made another sheepish grin once realizing how freaked out you sounded. "Y-you can't contact him..because he's on a summer cruise! Th-there's no service there, plus I don't even know his number..hehe." 

The man was quiet for a few moments, until replying with, "okay.. Well, we can sort this out once he comes to pick you up!"

"If that'll ever happen," you thought to yourself.

 He suddenly got into a salute position, "welcome, new camper! My name is David, your camp head-counselor!"

"I'm Y/n," you replied with a small smile.

"You're going to love Camp Campbell, Y/n! Let me show you where the other campers are!" He noticed your bag, and reached out to take it from you, "oh, let me take that to your tent! Your tent is number 11, I'll show you after your first daily camp session, you know, for the camp you or your parents signed you up for. But first, let's go to the mess hall so you can meet the others! Follow me!"

You started to follow David toward the 'mess hall' building. "This guy is really nice," you thought, "maybe this place won't be as shitty as I thought it would be. I think I just hit the jackpot, good job, me!" 

"Gooood morning, campers!" David exclaimed in a bubbly tone as he opened the doors. Your excitement was quickly drained away as you watched a complete shit show unfold involving a bunch of kids your age, and a woman who was throwing things at the children.

"NURF, PUT THAT FUCKING KNIFE DOWN!" You heard the woman scream.

"NO! YOU'RE NOT MY MOM!" The boy with the knife replied angrily.

David pinched the bridge of his nose, "oh dear.. Y/n, I'm so sorry that this is your first impression of Camp Campbell, but trust me when I say that..that.. Oh who am I kidding, it's always like this."

Not knowing how to reply to David, you started to walk forward and into the mess hall. You watched one kid suddenly look straight at you, then two, then three, and pretty soon the whole room had their eyes on you, along with being completely silent. You started to feel really uncomfortable, so you put your hands into the pockets of your f/c hoodie, while slowly taking a step back.

David saved the day by showing up next to you once again, "campers, and my lovely co-counselor, Gwen, I'd like you all to meet our newest recruit, Y/n! Let's all say hello and make her feel welcomed here at Camp Campbell!"

"Howdy, Y/n!" A kid in a space suit greeted you, you smiled and waved in return. Noticing all the kids going back to what they were doing, this time more calmly, you looked back up at David, mentally asking him what you should do now.

"Now's your chance to make some new friends! I'm giving everyone 15 more minutes on their activity before we start our daily camp sessions! Have fun, Y/n!"

You turned back to the tables filled with kids as David walked away, and started walking towards anyone who looked like a nice person. You headed towards the kid in the space suit, since he was the only one to actually say hi to you, but your trip to making a friend was delayed after you felt the back of your hood being yanked. You stumbled a bit, the pain from your leg came back and you quickly grabbed the edge of a nearby table before you could fall flat on your bum. You turned around with an irritated expression on your face to see a boy about your age, with black hair, tan skin, and aqua colored eyes. 

"Hey, new kid," the boy said with a smirk, "welcome to the shittiest place on earth."

You scoffed, "please, this is anything but the shittiest place on earth."

"You're definitely gonna regret saying that an hour from now, this place is a straight up hell-hole," the boy crossed him arms, having an uninterested expression plastered on his face, "I suggest you leave while you still can... On second thought, why don't you let me tag along with your parents? I could use a ride outta here."

"First of all," your tone was stern, and you crossed your arms as well, "I walked here. Second, trust me when I say this is not a shitty place. I've been to worse..far worse."

"..Kay. Go kiss David's ass some more, why don't you? Since you seem to like this place so much not even being here for 20 minutes, don't come crawling back to me once you finally realize this camp is actual shit and how I was completely right, because all I'm gonna say is 'I told you so.' See ya, David 2.0."

The boy walked away, leaving you with a furious expression on your face. Who does that guy think he is? He doesn't know a single thing about you, and yet he was all up in your face like he could read you like a book cover. Well, he must can't read, because he had read your cover completely wrong...