Ch. 23 (PG): Girls and Boys

"Somerset: A Time to Love", Ch. 23 (PG): Girls and Boys, December 10, 2017 Gratiana Lovelace (Post #1123 & on Wattpad)

("Somerset: A Time to Love" is an original contemporary romance copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace, 2017; All rights reserved) [(1) story cover, left]

Additional Disclaimer: The Wiki and other reference links that I cite contain general information merely to allude to a place, person, concept/theory/belief, history, or artifact, etc. This story is a work of fiction, and people and their thoughts and actions are figments of my imagination and should not be taken as real or as fact. And though the general backgrounds of the characters and the story's contextual setting involve mentions of the Christian religion—with an Anglican/Episcopal focus—this story is a romance, not a religious tract.

[And from time to time, I will illustrate my story with my dream cast of: Richard Armitage as Prof. Benedict Somerset, Jennifer Ehle as Laura Leicester, Loretta Devine as Connie Velasquez, John Lithgow as Seminary President Maynard Casten, and Jane Alexander as his wife Portia Casten, Charles Dance as Benedict's father Edward Somerset, Helen Mirren as Benedict's Mother Elizabeth Somerset, Dawn French as Benedict's elder sister Alexandra Somerset Solsbury, James Nesbit as Benedict's elder brother Edmund Somerset, Chris Pine as Laura's younger brother Steve Leicester, and others as noted.]

Author's recap from the previous chapter: After Laura's brother Steve and Benedict's sister Lexi, Lady Bath show up at Laura's apartment early Wednesday morning of April 24th—the siblings rather intrude upon what Benedict and Laura had hoped would turn out to be a lovely and loving morning before heading to the wedding planner in the afternoon. Then with some posturing by the boys and friendly condescension by the girls, Benedict's and Laura's day will continue quite differently than that they had originally planned.

"Somerset: A Time to Love", Ch. 23: Girls and Boys

After Laura's brother Steve and Benedict's sister Lexi, Lady Bath show up at Laura's apartment early Wednesday morning of April 24th—the siblings rather intrude upon what Benedict and Laura had hoped would turn out to be a lovely and loving morning before heading to the wedding planner in the afternoon. But with some posturing by the boys and friendly condescension by the girls, Benedict's and Laura's day will continue quite differently than that they had originally planned.

Much to Benedict's chagrin, his betrothed Laura is subsequently spirited away Wednesday morning for a girls' only shopping morning and lunch to get to know each other better—while Benedict is stuck with Laura's brother Steve.  However, Benedict is sanguine about Laura's cheeky brother Steve. Benedict just hopes that Laura isn't too overwhelmed by his sister Lexi—who is a force of nature in his eyes.

As Lexi and Laura have a nice girls' only chat over a light lunch at a nearby Hannigan's Restaurant, Lexi notices Laura's intricately designed heirloom quality antique Victorian era tri-colored gold locket [(2) below] hanging from her neck.

Lexi: "That is a lovely old and traditional locket, Laura Dear.  May I?"  Lexi reaches toward Laura and Laura nods her assent for Lexi to lift up the locket for a closer look.  "Is it a family piece?"  She asks before releasing her hold on the locket.

Lexi wonders if the locket is an heirloom or if Laura bought it at an estate auction. It's not uncommon for collectors to acquire jewelry at estate sales, rather than having lovely pieces handed down within the family. Especially, if that family did not have the where-with-all to purchase such fine jewelry at a dear cost, 75 to 100 years ago and more. Fine jewelry can add a sense of elegance and refinement to anyone's ordinary or poor ancestors.