Chapter 12: Ropes, Shackles, and Pain

I was still not fully conscience when I heard people talking around me.

"She thinks she's so special just because she's a Descendant!" the person scoffed.

"Lay off the kid, Di," another voice countered, "it isn't like she had any control over her destiny."

Diana was jealous, of me? And Xenia, the seemingly heartless Amazoness of a woman was defending me.

"Why should I? I was next in line if his soul mate couldn't be found, then she showed up!" Diana exclaimed.

It was at this very moment that I chose to open my eyes and wake up.

"Oh, Donatella, good morning!" Diana put on a smiling face and tried to help me up from the floor.

"Save it, Diana. Xenia," I pushed past Diana, nodded my head at Xenia and stalked away to the other side of the cell and leaned against the wall.

"Back for more girlie?" one of the men who harassed me when I first arrived asked. I recalled his name was Paul.

"I'm not in the mood Paul," I replied.

"Not in the mood for a little fun? I promise it won't hurt....much," Paul said mischievously.

"You heard her Paul, she does not wish to play your games," Grandmere scolded from her corner. I looked around and noticed that she, and another woman who was pregnant, were the only ones who had a mat to sleep on and a blanket.

"Yes Grandmere," Paul hung his head in defeat and slinked off. I looked at the aged old woman and thanked her.

"It is nothing, child. The men are eager to be released from jail, as we all are. They will not harm you but they enjoy a bit of fun. They are not as ruthless as their forefathers," Grandmere replied, coughing violently.

"Their forefathers?" I asked.

"The Titans."

I slid down the wall into a seated position on the floor. I held my head in my hands and rubbed my temples.

"What troubles you, child?" Grandmere asked, sitting down on the stool from last night.

"I'm so alone and confused Grandmere. The man I thought I knew and could trust turned on me. Diana is not who I thought she was and I'm angry!" I slammed my fists on my legs in frustration.

"Come, child," Grandmere called, beckoning me to her. She patted her lap and began stroking my hair when I laid my head down. "Tell Grandmere anything you want to tell me, and speak nothing of what you wish to keep secret."

I broke down. Every emotion, every betrayal I had experienced came forth freely in the form of tears.

"Child, do not fret. His heart is true and his actions false. He will save you when it is time," Grandmere replied, wiping my tears.

"What does that even mean? I don't understand, Grandmere," I said. I was confused; the aged woman spoke so cryptically.

"Find me later, during chores. I will tell you a secret I can tell only you, and you alone."

"Yes Grandmere."

A bulky guard came to the door with lengths of rope coiled in his arms. "Time for your two hours of exercise," he said. He pulled the coils taut and released them to snap back in place.

"You, new girl," the bulky guard's comrade yelled. "You get the breaking rope." He removed a blood-red rope from the pile and proceeded toward me with it. "Right foot." I obeyed and presented my foot to the guardsman. He linked a large eyesore of a shackle around my ankle and secured it in place with a two-inch metal rod. I cried as the guardsmen tightened the shackle until it hurt.

"Rope," the smaller, younger guard said, pitting his hand out to receive his requested item. He strung the red rope through a loop on the shackle and took it in his hand.

"You will follow. You will walk when I walk, stop when I stop. Any funny business, and I'll hit you so hard, you won't even remember your name," the older guard took the rope from his fellow and placed it in his hand with multiple other ropes which I noticed were linked to my cellmates. The guard gave a sharp tug on the ropes and we all began the humiliating march to sunlight.