Chapter 25: Quick Exit

'Why are these hotel sheets so hard? And why do they smell like Gabriel?' I thought. I reached up to rub the sleep out of my eyes when Gabriel's arms constricted around me. "Let me go, Gabriel," I said quietly. When Gabriel's arms didn't get any looser I tried again louder, "Let me go, Gabriel!" 

His arms went limp around me, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean--" 

"You're fine, I'm used to it," I said, springing up from the bed. "Morning Xenia!" I bumped in to her as I made my way to the restroom. 

"You heard what I said, Lover boy," I heard Xenia growl at Gabriel as I closed the bathroom door. 

"She said she's fine, I wasn't trying to hurt her, it's just a knee-jerk reaction," Gabriel replied. 

"It better be," Xenia said with an air of finality.  

"So, what's on the agenda for today?" I asked, as I washed my hands after using the facilities. 

"We have to leave, within an hour if we can," Gabriel answered.

Thirty minutes later, Gabriel and I were strapped in to our hiker's backpacks and heading downstairs. Xenia was still upstairs on the room, tidying up from last night. 

"Ending your stay with us so soon?" the redheaded receptionist from the first day asked us. 

"Yes, sadly. We've truly enjoyed our stay here," Gabriel said, sliding the two golden key cards back to her. 

"If you'll just sign this receipt, covering the spa services charged to your room, I'll let you be on your way," she said, passing a pen and paper across the counter. 

"You'll sign for it, won't you? I've got to go find our friend," Gabriel said, walking toward the elevator. 

'Friend? What's wrong?' I asked him. I was still getting used to being able to talk telepathically with Gabriel. 

'I don't know but Xenia should have been here by now, I'm going to look for her.' Gabriel returned.  

I reached for the pen and Samantha pulled it back, "Its fine, we can wait for him to get back." 

"No, I'll sign, it's no problem," I said reaching for the paper again. 

"I assure you," Samantha said with a fear in her eyes, "We can wait for him to get back." I followed her eyes over my shoulder to the reflective elevator doors. In their reflection, I saw an eerily familiar woman standing with two beefy looking men. 

I turned back to Samantha, silently begging her for help. Finally, she found her voice and said, "If you'll follow me this way ma'am, we can further discuss your room fees in my office." I walked around the desk to follow the frightened redhead to a private office. 

"Who is that woman?" I asked Samantha as soon as she had locked the door behind us. 

"She doesn't have a room. She came in this morning and asked if she could watch all the people checking in and out today; she said she was looking for a friend," Samantha answered. 

'Why does that woman look so familiar?' I thought. The slim figure, bright green eyes and the sweet smile on her face. 'Gabriel's mother: Athena.' 

"Samantha, can you help me? I have to get out of here but I can't let that woman see me," I said.  

"I can try. This office has a chute that leads to the laundry room. There's a door on the far side of the room that leads outside," Samantha replied. "It's the best I can do." 

"Thank you," I gave the girl a quick hug and opened the hatch leading to the laundry chute. I threw my backpack down before me, gauging how far the bottom was. After hearing a thud, I slid down the metal chute, feet first and prayed Gabriel and Xenia would be safe 'Oh Lord, my God, if it be Thy will, keep him safe. Please, Lord, You know I love him, please, bring Gabriel back to me.'