Chapter Six: Rescue Mission

Start from the beginning

It was stupid of Glenn and I to attempt to lead a group into the world that they had been sheltered from. They had all seen the creatures, some may have had to kill some, but they didn't know.... they didn't know how to really survive. Glenn and I, we knew somewhat of how surviving in this world meant. But, overall we didn't know how to make others see that. We relied on each other, and it was easy with just the two of us out there. But in the eyes of the group we were just some college kids, two boys that didn't know anything because we weren't old enough. We didn't have there respect, but as I sat in the car driving back towards the front lines of death, I knew that Rick Grimes respected us. Maybe... just maybe that trust could go along way in actually having a say in what happened at camp.

But in order to do that, in order to gain respect of others, I knew I had to do something Rick Grimes had taught me back at that store. You're allowed to be afraid, but you need to shove it down in order to think straight. You have to, otherwise you'll end up just being another monster craving human flesh. I knew I could help, I knew Glenn could help too, and if this was saying anything about the character of all the men in the truck even if the motives were different I knew we all had one factor left in us. We all wanted to prove ourselves in someway, and we all knew leaving a man for dead wasn't right. No matter if it was someone like Merle or someone like myself.

We all wanted to prove who we were. Glenn and I wanted to be useful and not fell like out fast. T-Dog wanted to redeem himself, Daryl wanted to prove that he'd do anything for his brother, and Rick... well Rick was once again proving that he'll do anything and everything possible to help the group. Even if we were going back to get Merle, he said he dropped a bag of guns next to the tank. Guns the group needed desperately if we wanted to have a chance if our camp ever got overrun.

When the truck stopped at some railroad tracks Daryl grunted from the back.
"The hell ya stop for? This ain't the store?!"
"We can't afford anyone to steal the truck, we'll need it for the ride back," Rick informed Daryl, " You got a problem with that?"

Daryl scoffed before lifting the back door of the truck and hoping out, his crossbow sling around his shoulder.
"Take that as a no," T-Dog said before following suit.
The rest of us climbed out of the truck, and began to walk towards the streets, each of us keeping on our eyes on the surroundings. Once we reached a cut fence that was near the store we stopped to plan.
"Merle or the guns first?" Rick asked quietly.
"Merle! That ain't even a question," Daryl snarled.
"Yes it is, we need to figure out our priorities and how we can get this done quickly," Rick exclaimed.

"Merle first," Glenn said, "I don't want to go to the road just to find out the guns are gone. We can get to Merle and then see if the bags still there and go on."
I nodded in agreement, and we then made our way through the fence.
We came upon a few geeks on the way towards the store, but Daryl quickly took them out with an arrow to the eye.
Though I didn't know much about Daryl and have barely spoke with the man, when he was focused he was deadly. Especially with the crossbow.

We found ourselves walking through the shattered door frames of the store, only a handful of the walkers that invaded it remained and were walking aimlessly around. I pulled my knife from my belt and rushed forwards, easily stabbing the one closest to us in the forehead.

The gargled snarl of he walker cut out immediately, and the former man went limp falling to the ground as I pulled my knife out. Glancing up I saw that the rest of the group had killed the rest of the infected, nodding to one another we made our way towards the stairs.
T-Dog opened up his duffel bag and pulled out a pair of cutters. I raised my eyebrow confused as why he had that. But once we made it towards the top of the stairwell I saw a lock connected to a a chain only allowing a small gap of the door to be opened.
"Like I told you, the geeks can't get to him," T-Dog informed Daryl.
"Yeah we'll see bout that," the redneck responded urgently, " Open it!"

Following Daryl's command, T-Dog cut the chain open, and the five of us rushed onto the roof.
It was silent  as we made our way towards where we had left Merle handcuffed, and we were surprised at what we saw.
There wasn't anyone there, just a bloodied saw, and a hand.

"NO!" Daryl exclaimed his crossbow falling from his hand. He glared at the hand before looking away, doing his best not to let the tears spill. I couldn't imagine what he was going through, the last of his family was right within his grasp, only to find that Merle had taken his own action and gotten off the roof his self.

When Daryl turned back, emotion was wiped off his face, as he pulled a handkerchief from his pocket and picking Merle's hand up. Wrapping it in the sheet, he then grabbed Glenn's bag and shoved he hand inside.
"Something to bury I guess," Daryl mumbled angrily.

Looking around the roof, I saw a door on the other side of the roof, leading to the store next door. I glanced towards where Merle's hand was, and followed the blood drops towards the door which was slightly open.

Gripping my knife, I walked towards the door quickly and threw it open. Another stairwell appeared before me, and larger blood drops shined maroon on them. Turning back towards the group I exclaimed, "Think I may of found something!"

Daryl was the first to rush over as he saw what I did. He pushed me out of the way, and rushed down the stairs screaming his brothers name.
"Daryl are you crazy!" I growled following him down the stairs shocked by what I saw. Besides Daryl ripping his arrow out of a dead walker, there were a few dead walkers laying dead.

The rest of the group followed us down, and analyzed the scene where we saw that Merle had burned his stump in order to stop the bleeding.

"Ain't no one killing Merle but Merle," Daryl stayed proudly.
"He's probably dead from blood loss," T- Dog said looking at the blood around the stove, and the broken window.
"We won't know unless we find him common!" Daryl said half out the window.

"Hold on!" Rick exclaimed, " We came here for your brother, he isn't here."
"He'd Be Back at camp if you didn't leave him chained to the roof like some animal!" Daryl snarled.

"Look, I get it this is our fault! We don't know if your brother is alive. But if he is Im not running around these God forsaken streets without some firepower," T-Dog exclaimed, " Let's get the guns and then look for Merle deal?"

Daryl realizing he was outnumbered climbed back into the room.
"Then what's the plan?"

Hope you liked the chapter