We were at the cemetery?

"You plan on killing me?" I tried to joke but the feeling of dread started to claw inside me.

Jace didn't answer me.

He just started walking and I had no choice but to follow him.

I shuddered involuntarily as we passed the numerous headstones.

I hated graveyards.

The last time I'd been in one I had said goodbye to my mother.

My whole body was shaking. The awful feeling wasn't going away.

Suddenly Jace halted, making me collide with his hard back.

It took me a moment to realize that he had stopped in front of a grave.

I could feel the blood pounding my ears as I stepped out from behind him.I could feel the breath leave my lungs as my eyes fell on the marble headstone.

No

No

NO!

A strangled cry left my lips as I sunk to the ground. My legs refused to support me.

I didn't feel Jace's arms as he pulled me into an embrace.

I was numb.

I read the writing on the headstone again. Wishing it wasn't real.

Here rests Megan Adams,

Beloved sister, daughter & friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jace and I sat in silence. We were parked outside my house but I made no move to get out.

I was still in shock.

The pain kept crashing down on me like waves.

"How did she die?" I whispered.

It was the third time I had asked him this but he refused to answer me.

I heard him sigh.

"I'm sorry Bambi. It's not my place to tell you." Jace spoke softly.

My jaw clenched.

My hand reached for the door handle as I started to get out.

"Are you sure you're okay?" His voice was filled with concern. "I could stay with you for a while."

I forced my lips into a reassuring smile. I'd gotten used to the whole ordeal ever since my mom died.

"Yes, I'm fine. I just want to be alone for a while." My voice was steady, completely opposite from what I was feeling inside.

He hesitated for a moment before he gave me a small nod.

I waited for him to drive away.

As soon as his car disappeared from view I started running.

My legs carried me until I was standing in the middle of the familiar clearing. I sank to the ground.

Sobs racked my entire body.

How could this happen?

Megan couldn't be dead.

The girl I grew up with, the girl who I'd loved like a sister, she couldn't be dead.

My shaking hands covered my mouth as I tried to muffle the sound of my sobs.

I sensed his presence before I saw him. Hunter's large body came to sit down next to mine.

We were both completely silent.

I didn't know what to say to him.

I couldn't say anything. I couldn't think.

Every breath I took seemed to suffocate me.

"He told you about Megan, didn't he?" His voice was so soft I almost didn't catch it.

His eyes were fixated on something far away. I was glad he wasn't looking at me. I didn't know if I could handle the look of devastation in his eyes.

I closed my eyes as another wave of sorrow washed over me.

"Yes." I finally managed to choke out.

Everything was silent once more.

"When did she-?" I whispered. I couldn't finish the sentence.

"Almost a year ago." His voice was empty, like someone who'd just given up all hope.

I sob ripped out of my chest.

Oh Megan.

I'm so sorry.

"How did she . . . die?" I finally managed to ask him.

His head snapped in my direction. The minute our eyes met I regretted asking him that question. His eyes were hollow. It was like every ounce of happiness and hope had been sucked out of his body.

His lips moved as he spoke the next words slowly.

"She overdosed on her sleep-medication, they told me she'd been stashing her pills instead of taking them for months and then one day she just decided to take them all. By the time I found her it was too late."

I felt like my world had stopped.

My soul had been ripped apart.

"No." I whispered.

Hunter closed his eyes like he couldn't look at me anymore.

"Megan killed herself, Scarlett."

~~~~~~~~~~~

************

A/N: This chapter was really hard to write. Mainly because it's something that's close to my heart.

If you're dealing with hardships right now, if you're unhappy and in pain, please don't forget that THINGS WILL GET BETTER. That's just how the universe works, pain and happiness aren't constant, they work in a balance.

YOUR MENTAL HEALTH IS IMPORTANT.

If you're depressed. If you feel alone. If you're having suicidal thoughts; PLEASE REACH OUT TO SOMEONE. 

Friends, family, strangers; talk to someone.

Don't forget that there are good people out there in this world.

And to those who are in a good place right now, I'd just like to request you to be more attentive to your surroundings. Sometime's people can't tell us that they need help, we need to be more aware.

A single smile can make someone's day a lot better. A few kind words can actually save a life.

 A few kind words can actually save a life