SEVEN

REYNA

What was I thinking asking him for help? Maybe I overreacted by storming off but it's a pretty good backtracking reaction when you realize that you just asked a complete stranger to help you hack the CIA.

I bet he'll babble it to his friends and they'll all laugh at the crazy new girl before deciding to forward that information to the principal and before you know it, dad's being called in and I'll be taken in for a debrief with the CIA and—

Shit. The whole setting seems ridiculous as hell but my paranoia is kicking in and there's nothing I can do to stop it.

I take a deep breath but it does nothing to calm my nerves. I glance around me. I'm seated on one of the benches in the south lawn and there's nothing to see except for students heading to their respective classes.

I probably should too. The first bell rang minutes ago and after that there's the warning bell, but I'm too absorbed in my mind to acknowledge the seriousness of the situation. It won't be long before someone taps on my shoulder and asks me what's wrong and why I'm not heading to class like the rest of them.

I jump when someone sits beside me. I'm able to make out a really muscular arm rested on top of a equally muscular and toned jean-clad thigh. I look up and my gaze collides with steel blue eyes.

"Just kicking it back, aren't you?" he asks.

Sighing, I say, "What do you want?"

"Why'd you bolt like that?"

"What was the point of staying if you weren't going to help me?"

"You didn't even give me the chance to voice my decision. Just got up, all pissed off, and walked off. For someone who just offered a truce, you really suck at it."

"Just leave me alone."

"Not until you tell me why you're so hell-bent on hacking the CIA. I mean, I'm all for the adrenaline rush you get when you get to access private information but I gotta say, I've never ventured into the unfamiliar turf of state intelligence."

My eyes widen with each word that comes from his mouth. Does he have any idea how loud he is talking about the very thing that could land us in jail?

"This might seem like a big joke to you but I'm dealing with some serious shit here."

"I bet. It's not everyday someone walks up to me and asks for help to hack into the—"

"Shut up." My hand clamps over his mouth. "Don't talk so casually about it."

His eyes fall to my hand and I realize my mistake. Maybe he doesn't like being touched. I withdraw my hand quickly.

"You never know who might be watching or listening," I explain. "It's best to stay safe."

"So you still want my help?"

I contemplate it. It would be much easier if I had outside help. Maybe he knows a skill I don't know yet and could help me get into the database within minutes but. . . I can't risk it.

"No, I'm good."

"Are you generally this hot and cold or am I just getting a front row seat of someone who's scared shitless?"

I throw him a glare. "I'm not scared."

Either he doesn't pick up on my pissed off tone or he must ignore it because he says, "That's what you say to yourself?"

"Listen," I say sharply. "I'm not going to play twenty-one questions with you. Leave me the fuck alone."

"Fine, whatever you say." He moves to stand up but my hand goes around his wrist. I'm really pushing the boundaries with this one. There's no way he's not annoyed by all the touching I'm initiating.