Paired Swans

“Georgiana, you have a visitor!” my father called.

I jogged down the hall and smiled when I felt that now familiar heat. I walked into the living room and Gregori stood there. It was odd having him amongst my parents’ things.

“Hey,” I said.

He grinned. He was wearing his usual dark shirt over jeans. The only difference was there was a leather jacket added to the ensemble, hiding the shoulder holster. My father sat in his chair, calmly reading his newspaper.

“How are you feeling?”

“Better. The last bruise cleared up this morning. Around the same time the messenger showed up.”

He raised an eyebrow. “How many did you get?”

“All eleven actually.”

He continued to grin but shook his head. “I told Lena there’d be some competition.”

My father cleared his throat quietly. I looked at him and blushed. It was easy for me to forget other people when Gregori was around. It was weird how he canceled everyone else out.

“Oh. Right. Daddy, this is Gregori Phillies. I met him in New York when I had my interview with Lena.”

My father put down his paper and looked Gregori over. He pulled off his glasses and stood up. Gregori held out his hand and my father took it.

“Gregori Phillies…I’ve heard your name before.”

“Maybe from Lena,” he said in response.

“Possibly. I’m Tiberius Vertigo.”

They shook hands for a brief second and then let go.

“Lena is very impressed with your daughter, Mr. Vertigo.”

My father nodded. “Most people are. What about you?”

“It was an interesting demonstration. Although I don’t think a kick to the groin was on the demonstration list.”

I tried not to smile but the corner of my father’s mouth turned up.

“She knows how to defend herself. I’m very proud of her.”

“As you should be. I don’t think any other Slayer this year has gotten an offer from all twelve Guilds.”

My father just nodded. He looked at me. “Why don’t you go for a walk? You’ve been cooped up all day.”

That was his subtle way of telling me that Gregori had met his approval. I rolled my eyes and looked at Gregori.

“Want to go for a walk?”

“Sure. You should grab a jacket though. It’s cold today for some freakish reason.”

“Welcome to Nebraska.”

I went back to my room, leaving him alone with my father. Something I wasn’t sure was a completely good idea. My father had a tendency to scare people. I changed into a deep purple empire waist shirt and a worn pair of jeans. I’d been relaxing all day in my pjs and I figured now would be a good time to change. I’d showered but I put my hair half up since it looked at tad oily.

I decided to grab my old pair of Chuck’s from the closet, forgoing boots today and choosing comfort. I grabbed my own leather jacket and headed out into the living room. An echo of laugher caught me off guard. My father didn’t laugh that often and when he did it always made me smile.

Apparently I wasn’t the only one roused by my father’s laughter. Luke, Sebastis, and my mother were all in the living room too.

“Wow family gathering,” I said. “You’d think there was something serious going on.”