Like A Pale Reflection

“So where’d you go to school?”

He smiled. “On the East coast. Alabama.”

“Wow. Deep South. Where’s the accent?”

“Don’t be stereotypical. Just because I went to school there doesn’t mean I’m from there.”

“Where are you from then?”

“Colorado.”

“That’s a big leap.”

He shrugged. “No more than most. It was nice there. I miss it sometimes.”

“Colorado or Alabama?”

He smiled. “Both actually. The city makes it harder. You can’t see the stars, there’s smog, the water is dirty.”

“Give a lot, receive very little.”

“Exactly.”

We were sitting outside at one of the tables next to the cafeteria. It was nice out and my gear kept the cold from reaching my skin, plus the constant heat I was feeling from being near him…I was completely set.

He was facing the window that looked in and I was facing the grounds and the rest of the tables.

“Have you always been here?”

I nodded. “Born and bred. My parents are a tad overprotective.”

“They should be considering you are the only Slayer hybrid.”

I winced but continued to smile. “Ouch.”

He laughed. “Come on, it can’t be that bad. Once you get used to all the oogling and such.”

“I don’t think I’ve ever gotten used to that. Every time we get a new crop of students I have to deal with it all over again. After a while I stop noticing but…” I shrugged “Things could be worse I guess.”

“They could,” he agreed. He sat forward in his chair. “I think I should tell you that people are staring at us.”

“Really?” I joked. “Where?”

He pointed over my shoulder and inside the cafeteria. “Your brother is among them.”

I laughed. “You sound like an alien movie.”

“I like those movies.”

“End of the world your cup of tea, huh?”

He nodded. “But I’m serious. Everyone at his table is staring at you.”

“Let me guess. There’s a Native American girl and a red headed boy right?”

He raised an eyebrow and slowly smiled. “And the Vampire.”

I felt my whole body tense and I resisted the urge to turn around and look. Gregori must’ve picked up on it because the smile slowly faded from his face.

“Had a falling out?”

“You could say that, yeah. He transferred to New York and now he’s back.”

Gregori kept his eyes trained on me but I could tell he was sizing up Aidan from his peripheral vision.

“Want to talk about it?”

“Not particularly, no.”

“Want to leave?”

“Yes please.”

He grinned and stood up. He held out his hand and I took it without thinking. I felt that electric pulse shoot up my arm and directly to my heart. It sputtered and picked up it’s pace. Gregori helped me up out of my chair, not like I really needed it, but all of a sudden my legs weren’t as steady as they usually were.