HOPE RIVER

A slave couple and their children is promised freedom by master Monroe,  instead he stole their savings and sold off Tracy's mother, once favored, she is sent  to work the fields, force to bare children from Joseph a drunken husband who abuses her...

A slave couple and their children is promised freedom by master Monroe, instead he stole their savings and sold off Tracy's mother, once favored, she is sent to work the fields, force to bare children from Joseph a drunken husband who abuses her terribly.

Tracy knows if she should run away her relatives left behind would suffer at the hands of their master, too scared to take a chance discouraged by everyone, desperate she decides to commit suicide near her home in the hope river.

Suddenly Tracy is lifted away to safety, angered by this intervention she confronted her savior pounding his chest, loudly "Why, Why." but without warning, he disappeared in a cloud of smoke, from behind the Virgin Mary came forth, spoke telepathically, and pointed at two large boulders by the river.

Tracy replied "So you want me to watch over my son, I don't understand." for a moment she listened in silence till Mary's voice became clear. "Yes yes I hear you now." Once the connection was made important instructions were giving.

Days later, one early morning a bully began picking on Doug, remembering what Mary said, she is overly protective, the boy's mother and she began to fight.

Working in the cotton fields under unbearable conditions, Doug wanders off in search of relief in part their master refuses to provide enough water because of a house slave caught stealing...They all would suffer for it.

Tracy realizes her boy is gone; all her fears of losing him became real, she runs into the wooded area yelling for him. "Doug, Doug, where are you?"

She came across him standing over two bolder rocks by the river, in distress shook him hard "Why didn't you answer me when I called, don't you know you could get hurt out here." Doug pointed down below to a dead boy around his age, build and complexion.

Realizing what Virgin Mary had told her was important to this moment she had no idea what it all really meant until her boy spoke, "Why does he look so much like me, mama could he be related to us?" Tracy replied, "We don't have relatives up the river."

Filled with sadness Doug let out a deep breath, "He's not a slave anymore, momma is this the only way to escape slavery?"

Tracy shushes him, "Don't think like that boy." slowly he said "I want to be free." Tracy responded "Yeah you me only, and Mary." she paused and let out a smile, Toby responded "Momma whose Mary?" with a glint in her eyes, "Your guide boy, she's gonna help you be free." a relief of laugher then came over her.

Doug replied "How mama?" with a serious look on her face "The Virgin Mary showed me a vision of you right there in the water, and atop mountain ridge but then told me I must protect you at all cost."

Frighten Doug said, "You're scaring me mama." Tracy replied, "Don't be scared this is your way out boy."