Chapter Thirty-Eight

Start from the beginning

The game could wait...Hermione couldn't. I left my Nimbus Two Thousand in the changing room and snuck out away from Wood and ran towards the castle. Once inside, I tried to forget the feeling of being watched and raced up the stairs towards the library. 

"Please be all right, Hermione," I said to myself, as I rounded the corner only to freeze in shock. 

Hermione lay still on the floor, her eyes wide with fear and holding a small, circular mirror. I cried out in shock and ran towards her. 

"Hermione, Hermione, no, wake up!" I shake her gently. "Don't do this to me!" 

I looked around, hoping someone would walk past and spot us. I knew what had happened, there had been another attack and this time, Hermione was the victim. 

"No, oh god no, why?" I say helplessly. "I'm going to get you help Hermione, even if I have to drag you to the Hospital Wing"

I stand up and walk down her body until I'm in front of her feet. Taking a deep breath, I grab her ankles and start pulling her down the hallway. She's probably going to hate me for doing this, but I'm not strong enough to grab her and there's no one else around, so I have no other choice but to drag her. 

"Damn, Hermione, you need to cut out on the cheesecake," I huff, pulling her a little more. 

I didn't get far. I heard footsteps behind me and I turned to see Ginny Weasley walking towards me in a dazed way. I didn't care that I hate her right now, she has to help me.

"Ginny! Oh, thank goodness!" I say, breathlessly. "Hermione's been attacked, I need your help getting her to the Hosptial Wing"

Ginny didn't say anything. She just continued to walk towards me, her face pale and her eyes wide. 

"Ginny, what are you doing?" I ask, stepping back and protectively in front of Hermione. 

She stopped in front of me. "You"

And then it all went black. 

*

Meanwhile, back at the Quidditch pitch, the match was about to start but Professor McGonagall came half-marching, half-running across the pitch, carrying an enormous purple megaphone.

Harry felt his heart drop like a stone.

"This match has been cancelled," McGonagall said through the megaphone, addressing the stadium. There were boos and shouts. Wood, looking devastated, landed and ran towards McGonagall without getting off his broomstick.

"But Professor!" he shouted. "We've got to play...the Cup...Gryffindor..."

McGonagall ignored him and continued to shout. "All students are to make their way back to the house Common Rooms, where their Heads of Houses will give them further information. As quickly as you can, please!"

Then she lowered the megaphone and waved Harry over to her. 

"Potter, I think you'd better come with me..."

What? Harry saw Ron run through the crowd and run up to them as they made they way to the castle. McGonagall didn't stop him.

"Yes, perhaps you'd better come too, Weasley"

Some of the students swarming around them were grumbling about the match being cancelled, other's looked worried and quite frankly, scared. Harry and Ron followed McGonagall up the marble staircase and strangely towards the Hospital Wing.

"This will be a bit of a shock," McGonagall told them. "There's been another attack...a double attack"

Madam Pomfrey was bending over a fifth-year girl with long curly hair. Harry recognised her as the Ravenclaw they'd asked for directions to the Slytherin Common Room. And on the beds next to her was-

"Hermione!" Ron groaned.

"They were found near the library," McGonagall told them. "I don't suppose either of you can explain this? It wss on the floor next to them"

She was holding up a small, circular mirror.

Harry and Ron shook their heads, both of them looking at Hermione. 

"I will escort you back to Gryffindor Tower," she said. "I need to address the students in any case"

Harry nudged Ron as they started walking. "Where's Bella?"

"I dunno," Ron shrugged. "I haven't seen her since before the game"

Now Harry was even more worried.