Chapter 6

Shawn

My phone sat idol in my hands for a moment before I put it on speaker and pressed play. My chest felt tight as I listened.

"Shawn." She said almost in a whisper. "Shawn please call me back. Respond with a text... anything, I need you. Please come and get me before he-"

The phone went silent for a moment and I could hear was her staggering breathing. There was banging, like a door being kicked over and over and then a loud crash. Then I could hear her, crying and screaming, begging him to stop. She'd left me that message 15 minutes ago. "FUCK!" I yelled getting dressed as fast as I could. I didnt even grab shoes before I was out the door and into my car.

It's a miracle I didn't get pulled over because I went a hundred miles an hour the entire way there. The lights were on at the house and I noticed the front door slightly opened. Pushing it with my foot, I walked in carefully and quietly. The living room was trashed. Glass from the lamps were all over the floor. I took a few steps and kicked something and kneeled to pick it up. Janet's purse. I glanced upstairs. My heart was like a drum in my ears as I worked my way up the staircase in just my socks.

There was an door open at the end of the hallway. As I got closer I noticed René passed out in the bed. Taking a look around I still didnt see her. Where are you baby. I checked the closets first but noticed the bathroom door. It was damn near off the frame. I pushed it open to see Janet laying there, curled up on the bathroom floor. The sight her brought me to my knees. "Oh babe I'm so sorry." Janet heard my voice and raised her head. Her eyes swollen from crying. I pulled her into my arms, holding her tight as rocked her back and forth slowly. "I'm sorry I wasn't there. I should've been here. I will never let him hurt you again I swear."

"Can you please help me stand." She softly wrapping her arm around my neck. I carefully helped her to her feet. That's when I noticed the blood on her thighs and dress.

"You're hurt! We have to get you to a hospital now!"

"No! No, I can't go to a hospital Shawn. It will be all over the news by morning. Besides
it's mostly his blood. He cut himself when kicked the door in." She grabbed her ribs and steadied herself as she walked towards the door. The fear in her eyes as she passed him started a fire in me. I found myself next the bed standing over him. My breathing was heavy and I finally got a good look at him. His shirt was ripped, scratches covering his arms and face. Blood covered his left arm and leg as he laid on his back in boxers.

"Shawn lets go." Janet whispered from behind me but I shook my head. 

"No J. I want to hurt this bitch like he hurt you." I drew my fist back to hit him and Janet grabbed me, resting her head against mine. I closed my eyes listening to her voice and trying to calm myself.

"Shawn please." She said as she started to cry. "Can you just take me home." I picked her up in my arms and carried her down to my car. The way she gripped her side I could something was wrong. I carefully sat her down in the car and buckled her in. She slept most of the ride.

Shawn's Apartment

I sat Janet down carefully on my bed, grabbed some towels, my robe and started her a hot bath. I peeked my head out of the restroom.

"Bath is ready." Janet didn't respond. She sat at the edge of my bed, eyes focused on her hands. I walked over slowly and kneeled down in front of her. "Hey." Her eyes finally met mine. "I have a hot bath waiting for you."

"Thank you." She said wiping tears from her eyes. I helped her to her feet and walked her over to the restroom.

"Call me if you need anything. I'm right out here."

Janet

After getting undressed, I tried stepping into the tub but it hurt so much

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

After getting undressed, I tried stepping into the tub but it hurt so much. I rested against the wall next to me until the aching passed. There was no way I was going to be able to do this alone. I grabbed a towel and wrapped it around me.

"Shawn." My throat hurt and I didn't sound like myself. Shawn knocked and opened the door and walked inside. "Hey I'm so sorry. You're tub is a little high for me right now. Can you help me?"

"Yeah babe of course." She picked me up into her arms, helping me stand in the tub. "You good?" She said. Her eyes were filled with concern and worry. I didn't want her to go.

"Will you stay with me?"

"Yeah sure." She sat down on the against the tub, her back to me. Giving me privacy to take off the towel, but sitting wasn't happening by myself either.

"Can you help me sit down. I'm so sorry." Shawn looked over her shoulder. She stood up up grabbed my hand and helped ease me into the water. For the first time she could see every bruise and scar René had ever given me. I didn't care that she could see the truth anymore. She made me feel safe and not judged. The water stung against my scraps and cuts but it was soothing to all the aches and pains. I laid my head back and sighed allowing my eyes to close.

"J What happened?" Shawn asked.

I knew that she would, eventually. I could see it brewing in her mind every time I made eye contact. I took a deep breath and looked over at her.

"Unless you don't want to talk about it which is totally okay." She added.

"I know." I paused. "I want to tell you everything."