6. 100 Years Forward

It had taken a while but Elena had finally found her childhood friends, Caroline and Tyler after 35 years of searching; and their meeting had been by chance and luck; there was a masquerade ball at Mystic Falls which they had all attended. Damon and Stefan had also come along on the lookout for anyone who seemed suspicious of their presence; however it turned out nobody needed compelling in the end. It also gave Caroline and Tyler a chance to reveal to their mum’s that they had gotten married and were happy together; much to their mother’s relief and joy.

The decision of which Salvatore brother to choose had been an extremely difficult one, however, Elena wanted to keep them both in her life. She knew what her heart wanted deep down and she couldn’t deny it herself anymore; she was to spend an eternity with these two males and it was unfair to keep them both dangling on strings of hope. Her decision had been quicker than the time it took to find her friends too. After a year of pondering and getting to know the brothers all over again she had given them her final decision, explaining everything to them both.

She had also adopted the vampire life rather gracefully and easily, she took on the diet of the Salvatore brothers of using blood bags to drink from; however she did sometimes use animals as a brief top up. However Elena was proud that since attacking her brother she had kept the monster at bay and hadn’t gone for another human being.

“So, here we are again…” Caroline grimaced looking at the high school before them. “Yeah, freshmen again” Elena agreed with a grin, wrapping her arm around her friends bony shoulders. “This time, we will rule the school!” Tyler mused with a sly smirk.  “That’s not wise Ty…” Jeremy pointed out jabbing Tyler hard in the ribs. “We’re supposed to be keeping a low profile” He added as Tyler huffed and the girls giggled. Elena had changed Jeremy a few years after she turned, he felt alone after Bonnie moved to her mother’s old house and he missed his sister and other friends.

“Well, well, well, Freshmen, my favourite” A familiar voice said from behind them, his breath on Elena’s bare neck which had been revealed by her having her hair in a ponytail. She turned around and smiled, gazing into his beautiful blue eyes. “Don’t even think about causing trouble here Damon” She warned. Damon smirked and shrugged “Would I ever?” He drew an imaginary halo over his head before flapping the air and using his index fingers to imitate devil horns. “Behave brother”  A smooth voice murmured as he twirled Elena around and pulled her into a hug. “Back at Mystic Falls…” He whispered into Elena’s ear, she nodded.”Mmmhmm”

Damon tutted watching his brother and Elena carefully. “I don’t know how you lot can do it. Thank god I’m older” He groaned, tapping the feamle lightly on the shoulder. She ended her embrace with Stefan and turned to the other brother; he immediately caught her in a tight embrace, discreetly nipping her ear lobe. Had she been human, Elena would have blushed deeply.  

“So, it’s the usual me and Elena are twins” Jeremy started. Caroline nodded “Yeah and we’ve all moved from the school upstate – hence why we know each other and why me and Tyler are going out” She concluded happily, kissing Tyler’s cheek. “I’m so trying out for the team!” Tyler enthused as they heard the bell ring. “Run along kiddies, time for school!” Damon teased patting Elena on the bum softly as she began to walk away. She chuckled to herself and turned to give Damon a cheeky wink.

Elena had chosen Damon in the end, she was attracted to both of the Salvatore brother’s but she met him first and during the year she got to know both of them, she found herself quickly falling for Damon’s charm and wit. Of course, she hated herself when she revealed her choice, Stefan looked heartbroken, and he was, so was she. Stefan had ended up leaving that night and letting them live their life together without him for 76 years, even now he was struggling to deal with Elena’s choice, but respected it. Still, he had a secret of his own, during his time away he had found Katherine and they had started over again and she was due in town any day now; not that he told anyone this…

Yet.