Suddenly a blur sped past us and cut us off. Onyx squealed as leapt sideways, almost throwing me out of the saddle.

" Whoa! " I yelled as I halted him. Onyx shook his head and tried to circle. I let him, circling him until he was a bit more calm. I looked back at the jump and saw a girl from the British Columbia team take her horse, a tall dark bay gelding that had to be close to 18 hands high over the haystack jump I was about to take.

" Hey! Watch it! " I called, trotting Onyx around the jump and over to the girl.

" You watch it! We called that jump! " The girl shot back, sharply turning her horse to face us.

" Didn't you see us heading for it? You couldn't wait two seconds? " I retorted. Onyx was feeding off my frustration, stomping his hind leg on the ground. He reached out towards the other horse, ears pinned and I stopped him just as he was about to nip.

The gelding snorted and raised his head, acting as if he'd never been nipped before.

" Can't you control your horse? That high strung thing belongs in the circus " The girl told me, backing her horse up.

I gritted my teeth to keep from flat out yelling at her. " At least he's got personality and isn't a prissy little prince with a snobby owner " I replied, smirking as the girls mouth fell open. I rode up until I was beside her.

" I'll see you at the finish line, I'm sure you can make last place look classy "

And with that I cantered Onyx away, leaving the girl in the ' dust '.

After that little encounter, I was ready to blow these wannabes away.

" You okay? That girl totally deserved the smackdown you just gave her " Marlo said, riding up beside me as I slowed Onyx to a trot.

" Oddly, that made me feel even more ready " I replied, laughing slightly.

" Well, you handled it better than I ever could, but I guess you grew up competing against snobby, rich riders like that huh? " she asked.

I shrugged. " Thats pretty much been my whole show environment, but once in a while you get an odd group of riders who are actually nice " I told her as I reached over and elbowed her. " Like you and the others "

" Aw, I'm touched, but lose that feeling for now, save it for when we win " Marlo replied, smiling.

" And thats why we're now best friends "

And with that we slapped palms and put our game faces back on.

.............................................................................................................................

I walked Onyx into the starting box and circled him.

This was it, our time to shine. Dressage had been great, but now we were practically granted that first place spot.

Even if we came second to Jewel or Marlo, I would still be happy, but I was really aiming for that best Cross-Country run title, just like everyone else in my class.

I leaned forward and rubbed the tips of Onyx's ears, a last minute calming technique for him. Onyx nickered and turned his head, nudging my boot with his nose.

" We've got this boy, I know we do, you just be you, do what you do best and I'll follow your lead " I whispered to him.

Onyx straightened himself out as the timer on the pole beside the box counted down. It was almost as if Onyx could read the time, his muscles tensing every second it counted down. I crouched down over the saddle, twisting a lock of his now unbraided mane in my fingers.