Chapter 10:

Sky's POV:

I sighed as I stared out the large window, watching as Onyx and Shadow chased each other around the paddock. The other horses in the other paddocks were watching them, neighing and snorting. They wanted to join in, but watching as Onyx played with his best friend made me miss my best friend, my twin.

A soft knocking at the door barely changed the way I stared out the window, changed out of my riding clothes and into new Grey Low-Rise Stretch Cotton-Denim Biker Jeans and a Red Silk Georgette Shirt. I had showered and straightened my hair and put it up before Onyx and Shadow had caught my eye.

" Sky Blue? "

I turned and saw my dad standing at the doorway. Sky Blue was his nickname for me.

" ...Hey dad... " I replied, staring back out the window.

He came over and sat on the bench in front of the window, beside me.

" Steven, Andréa and Carol told me that you and Jewel are having a...disagreement " he said.

I rolled my eyes. " Dad, we're not kids anymore, you don't have to call it something that soft. We're fighting, simple as that....she betrayed me, we weren't supposed to become friends with the new girls, they're competition " I explained, crossing my arms.

Dad suddenly started laughing.

I crossed my arms. " ...Well its true... " I mumbled.

" Yep, your definitely my little girl " He replied.

Okay, now I'm really confused.

" What are you talking about? " I asked.

" I had that exact same attitude when I was your age. I thought everything, and everyone was competition to me...even my own brother "

" Uncle John!? " I suddenly blurted out, sitting up straighter. " Uncle John used to ride horses? I thought he was always a Farrier? "

Dad smiled and stared out the window, as he recalled the events as if they just happened. " Yes, your Uncle John and I used to compete together, just like you and Jewel. Then when we were just a year older than you two, we were scheduled to both compete in Europe for the Show Jumping Grand Prix, being held in Germany that year. The problem was, we were competing in the same class. At first we were excited, the thrill of competing against each other across the world...But after a while, we stopped training together and didn't even tell each other our new techniques. The competition was tearing us apart " He explained.

Squealing suddenly drew both our attention to the window. Onyx was running up and down along the fence, on the other side, Lo was copying him. Those two acted like Romeo and Juliet sometimes, and it made me laugh.

We watched them for a few seconds before I looked back at Dad. " So what happened? "

Dad turned back to me. " Well, we were so busy competing against each other at home that we didn't even come close to winning the show, John quit competing and eventually just stopped riding. I continued competing and we just stopped talking or communicating. It wasn't until I proposed to your mother that he contacted me again, then along came your and your sister came along and he couldn't stay away from you two " he finished.

I smiled, but it quickly disappeared. " But, Uncle John never rode again? "

Dad nodded. " Unfortunately, and he was very skilled to, but the point is, you can't let competition tear you and your sister apart. These ' new girls ' aren't your competition either, you all have to work together to win the Summer Finale, and if you spend all your time competing against each other instead, you'll have no energy or competitiveness left for the Finale. you need to save that competitive attitude for the real competition " he told me as he wrapped his arms around me in a hug.

I chuckled. " Okay, how many times did you say the word competition or anything like it in that sentence " I joked.

We both started laughing until our sides hurt.

Dad kissed the top of my forehead. " So, promise me you'll at least attempt to get to know the girls, and make up with your sister? "

I stayed silent for a few minutes. I guess he did have a point, I judged the girls without getting to know them, and I guess Jewel was just trying to do the same, so I couldn't really be mad at her...plus i really missed her.

" ...Fine " I replied.

Dad gave me a light squeeze. " That's my stubborn girl "

" Oh ha ha ha, very funny " I replied as I pushed him away.

He laughed as he stood up and walked back towards the door. " And remember this, it helped me get through some of my competitions "

" What is it? "

" A quote; Practise Like You've Never Won, Preform Like You've Never Lost " He told me before leaving the room.

Hm, interesting and might come in handy later...

I got up and stretched. I needed go find Jewel and apologize. When I was untacking Onyx earlier, I heard her, Blaire and Marlo talking...

Something about going shopping.....