09

Darkness. Some run from it, some hide. Others welcome it with open arms. Like it was an old friend they hadn't seen in a while, kisses and hugs shared. Darkness can be rather clingy, though. It clings to the atmosphere, it clings to the sky, to clings to people who haven't been shown the light. But what is darkness? A colour we presume is black? An emotional bundle of evil? Or maybe no feelings at all?

Darkness is different for everyone. For Haileè, it's the fact that her only friend is imaginary but his presence is always felt, like a ghost haunting her. Ever since his parents and little sister died due to a deadly fire, darkness has always been the light that Robin turned too. Rosanna would argue that she invites no darkness, but she lies; until now, no one has ever accepted her for who she was, always hiding her true self. The darkness for Louis is his parents, he doesn't have the freedom to be who he wants, ever, so he holds onto the darkness because it's the only place he can be himself.

Darkness. Everyone has it. Everyone's darkness is different. It is one thing that humanity has in common. Like a disease, it spreads worldwide, consuming every soul, every atom, every human; there is no escape. And it will never change. Though darkness will disappear when light appears, it never truly dies. But maybe, just maybe, it will one day be cured. An everlasting being with the ability to cure sadness, anger, darkness. Their light so great that even the darkness hides, quaking in fear.

Wouldn't that be great?

"Sir, the S.L. Tanks are back online. Tanks in Engletic, Eurocten and Austratuz are also functional," a man dressed in a white lab coat rushed into the sunlit room.

"Thank you, Dr Reznor. Ready the tribute to awaken," a reply came from the shadows.

"Yes, sir!" Reznor saluted and raced out of the room again, his coat waving behind him.

"Father, why did you and the other tribes agree to this?" a teenage girl sat in the sunlight, trees looming overhead. Her skin was as soft as silk and pale like the moon's surface. Icky black hair fell down to her shoulders, her fiery red eyes full of wonder.

"Juniper, you may address me as Chief Camber when we are in these walls," Camber said sternly, he stepped into the light. He shared the same features as the girl. Jet black hair, red eyes, pale skin. But one thing varied, three scars sat like artwork on his charming face.

"Sorry, Chief Camber," Juniper repeated with sass. "Why did you and the other tribes agree to this?"

"Our world is broken, June. To find a way to escape from our ancestor's stupid decision is our main priority," Camber pulled his sword from its sheath. He watched it as the sword pieced it's self together, like watching a smashed mirror in reverse.

"But we hate Chief Nash and his Engletic's. Why are we helping them?" Juniper asked, standing up and walking towards her father.

"There is so much you don't understand, June," Camber gazed at the girl. "And so little time," he added.

"Will the darkness ever cease?" Concern washed over her poor innocent face.

"I believe so. Come, June, let us find your brother and we shall contact the other tribes," Camber shoved the sword back into its sheath and grasped Junipers wrist. She gasped in pain and was soon being dragged behind her chief but also, her one and only father.

"Contacting in five, four, three, two, one."