Extra #2 - The Flow of Time, no. 2

"You're the best student anyone can ask for..." --Hiyama Kiyoteru

~~~

A young girl sat on the floor of her room, watching the second hand slowly but steadily tick its way around the clock face. The pendulum swinging the seconds away, reminding her that time waits for no one.

This girl patiently waited; for what, no one knows. Every day for the past 5 years, after her daily activities, she would sit her and watch the clock as keep track of its and her life. 

DONG. DONG. DONG. DONG.DONG. DONG.

The door opened and a young woman entered. Clad in a simple maid uniform, she carried a tray to the corner table. She removed the tea pot along with the cup and tray before turning the the girl on the ground.

"Milady," the maid said, with a curtsy, "It's time for your evening tea."

"What flavour is it?" She asked without turning.

"Apple, milady," the maid replied, "with a hint of lemon and ginger."

The girl nodded slightly before getting off the ground. She rubbed the creases out of her dress and turned towards the window. "Thank you, Sumi. That will be all." 

The maid bowed and turn to leave the room.

"Before you go, can you tell Miki to bring the evening paper? And a box of crackers and jam?"

"As you wish, milady."

The door close and the room silence returned to the room except for the ticking of the clock. 

3... 2... 1...

"Miss Yuki!"

The door slammed open, shaking the paintings hanging on the walls and the Yuki simply walked over to the table and started to pour tea.

"Miki, that is unbecoming of a maid," Yuki chastised, "Maids don't run down corridors and slam open doors. What would Mother and Father say if they saw you now?"

Miki flinched and shook her head. "Don't bring them into this, and the only reason I'm here as a maid is to make sure your padrinos don't kill you in your sleep."

"Please don't speak ill of them. If it weren't for them, I don't know where I will be right now." She poured two cups of tea and held one out. "Would you like a cup? They trying a new flavour today, I think she said apple."

Miki took the cup and drew it against the wall in anger. Yuki, on the other hand, just stood there unfazed. "How long are you going to stay in this hell hole for? It's been 4 years, Yuki. 4 damned years!"

"Keep your voice down."

"I would not keep my voice down," Miki said firmly, "I don't care what they do to me as long as you're safe but I can't let you stay here anymore, and they won't do anything to you as long as I'm alive. They won't go against your parents' wishes."

Yuki placed her cup on the table and turned to face her longtime friend. "They'll kill you."

"Then let them kill me. You don't think I don't see them planning it, every night up in their tower." Miki spat a few curses out before shaking her head. "My purpose is to serve and protect you, nothing else matters."

"I can't let you do that."

SLAP

"Snap out of it already!" Miki shouted. "Do I need to drag you out of the house myself for you to come back to your senses​?!"

Yuki tilted her head to the side and frowned. "I'm 13... no, 14. I'm 14. I have the right to choose where I want to stay and wherever that is, it's my choice to make."

"When did you turn 14?"

"Turning 14," Yuki clarified, looking at the clock, "In the next few seconds."

DONG. 

The ground rumbled, causing some items to fall off the shelves and break.

DONG. 

The hands of the clock started to spin haphazardly.

DONG. 

A faint glow started to surrounded the grandfather clocked and a loud crack boomed through the house. "Happy Birthday to me."

DONG. 

Loud footsteps could be heard running down the corridors, the guards shouting to each other in fright. "Happy Birthday to me."

DONG. 

The clock split in two and opened like a door, revealing a beautifully carved door behind it. Swirls of flowers and birds decorated its face, small plants grew from the cracks and spaces in and around the door. "Happy Birthday, dear Yuki."

DONG. 

Yuki stepped forward and took one of the many chains from around her neck. Holding the rusted key in her hand, she pushed it into the lock. She gave it a push and a turn and a loud click rang through the room. "Happy Birthday to me."

DONG.   

She pushed the door opened. "Are you going to be a statue in shock, are you going to be a good friend and help me escape?" She asked with a smile.

Miki shook her head and grinned before taking her friend. "I thought you would never ask."

The door burst open and the godparents ran in. "Stop right there, Yuki!!"

But it was too late, the door had closed, the clock sealed, and the chaos ended.

They were gone.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

"So, where exactly are we going?" Miki asked.

They were walking down a dimly lit tunnel, water dripping from the ceiling and the scent of salt wafting through the air. Yuki turned with her to a smile which laid somewhere between joy and pain. 

"To Grandfather's grave, of course."

  ~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

A.N.

Let's go behind the grandfather clock to the depths of hell~

The second chapter of a small arc in commemoration of Kiyoteru's (and Yuki's and Miki's) 8th Anniversary. A bit late but it's here. 

I hope you guys enjoyed it. Feel free to share your opinion on it. See you guys tomorrow! :)