Chapter 10--Out Of Control

"There is beauty in compassion, but one must learn wisdom too."

― Brandon Sanderson, The Final Empire

When Neo had brought back his "friend",  Apondrea almost choked on her roast chicken. 

Neo mockingly bowed. "Lady Lilly, I'd like you to meet your new crewmate.  Cassi, meet Lady Lilly."

In front of her was the most well-muscled woman she'd ever seen.  Her tan skin revealed her to be at least half Terris and her expression at least half a skeptic.  She looked tense, like a Thug ready to leap into action.  It took the princess a moment to comprehend that this woman was.....a female brawler. 

"Seriously kid? You pull me away from the most interesting fight of night for this?" 

Neo patted of the large woman on the shoulder. "Relax Cass.  I'm sure she'd say the same to you."

"It doesn't matter what she'd say, she's a little girl in a mask!  What is she even doing out at night?  You know what the streets can be like for little rich bi-"

Neo's hand flew over the female brawler's mouth.  "Our guest has delicate ears, Cassi."

"Excuse me, I think I'll speak for myself."  Apondrea rose from her seat. "I'm....Lilly, I suppose."

Cassi crossed her arms. "You suppose?" 

"It's the name I gave her," Neo winked at Apondrea. "since she so rudely refuses to give one." 

The princess coughed. "Excuse me Neo, if I remember right, I was too busy trying to remove your nostrils from my business."

"Shut up, you love my nostrils.  Also, I doubt you even remember my real name.  I gave you mine, remember?"

The princess silently cursed herself.  She had indeed forgotten his real name, only recalling the nickname she'd given him out of spite. 

"Uh-huh.  Why am I here again?" It was Cassi who'd spoken.  Apondrea had momentarily forgotten they had company.

"You're here," Neo said. "Because my lady needs help doing some....surveillance." 

Cass slid over another chair to their table and sat, crossing her arms. "What're we looking at?  I'm not doing jobs that have to do with the palace anymore.  Too many Mistings out there most nights. Almost got caught awhile ago."

"No, nothing to do with the palace." The princess said, nervously tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

"Yeah, Lilly here," Neo gestured toward her with his thumb. "is too attached to the whole wretched establishment, I'm sure." 

Apondrea wisely bit her tongue. What sort of crowd had she fallen into?  A wretched establishment?   

"There's been a man, convicted of fraud, his name is Leon Kinkade." She said, ignoring her every instinct.  "Only he's completely innocent."

Cassi gave Neo a side glance.  "You do know that's not unusual, right?"

She knew, but she never liked to think on it.  Her father tried, he really did, but he was often so busy building his "new world" that he was distracted when it came to managing those in power.  There were those who would blame others for their crimes.

Neo patted the large woman on the shoulder. "Hear her out Cassi."  Cassi slapped his hand away, but kept silent.

"I've found out where he's being held." Her father's files had everything she'd needed to know. "He's being held in a large prison, but not a particularly allomatic-proof one.  It's an easy raid...supposedly."