Chapter 3--The Ceremony

The Atrium was where the noble houses of Elendel gathered for meetings and hearings.  It wasn't as grand it sounded.   The Atrium was really just a room with official looking pews, a stage adorned with a podium. There were no grand comforts for the leaders of the new world, her father saw power as a burden to be treated with respect, not as an excuse for luxury.

Not many had been happy with the idea at first, but they came around.  The Lord Mistborn had a way of speaking that brought people around to his point of view.

The hall was filled today, like a full court in session.  Her twelve siblings were lined up in the spectators balcony above the podium.  All dressed in their best; even little Dann, sucking his thumb in Mariline's arms.      

"Come now." Her mother said, pressing Apondrea forward a bit. 

That's when the princess noticed all the faces, the mumbles, the attention.  Everyone was focused on her.  The third child of the Lord Mistborn. 

She could feel her back stiffen.  A pressure settled between her shoulder blades.  The princess struggled to keep her train of thought.

"Come on Apondrea, you can do it.  You've seen other nobles go through this a thousand times, it's incredibly simple.  You don't even have to say anything.  Relax."    

The princess reached the center of the room and curtsied to her father who stood at the podium.  Her mother stood straight and proud behind her.

"I am here to ask the blessing of this congregation," Her mother said. "Lord Mistborn, and Harmony himself.  To ask to let this child be called a woman, to be recognized in this court, and to leave this room an equal."

The congregation roared their approval.  Apondrea's cheeks flushed, the noise was quite overwhelming.  

The Lord Mistborn stood. "I agree with the many, this child shall be recognized in the court." She searched her father's stern face, he broke his continence only for a covert wink.  The princess gave a weak smile. 

A missionary of Harmony blessed her and then the ceremony was finished with her father stepping down from the podium and kissing her hand.  All the attention was enough to make the girl's knees weak.  She then curtsied to the crowd and the Lord Mistborn once more, and was marched to the ballroom so the festivities could begin. 

The ballroom wasn't as grand as some, just like the rest of the royal manor, but it was large enough to host the some 500 guests that were coming tonight.  Apondrea was on close terms with about four of them. 

Apondrea fingered her silk dress as the guests began to arrive.  She had to be perfect tonight.  The model princess.  No sneaking, no spying, just eating and no pilot conversation.  She would just have to bare the wondering eyes tonight. 

An hour later, the ballroom was packed and the dinner served.  Apondrea sat at the left hand of her father the entire night, her mother being on his right.  The Lord Mistborn was mostly occupied by discussing trade with Hammond's son, Gaven.  Eventually the dancing began. 

Apondrea gave a low groan, she was a horrid dancer.  Everyone who'd attempted to teach her had given up in either disgust or laughter.  But tonight she would be the main spectacle.  The Basin would be judging her competence as a princess by her ballroom skills.  Unless they were counting intrigue, they were to be sorely disappointed. 

"May I be excused father?" Apondrea whispered. "I'm not feeling too well." 

The Lord Mistborn's brow wrinkled.  "Are you ill?"

"I don't think so."

"Then be back soon, daughter.  You need to dance with some of these young men before bed."

She nodded and made a break for an unoccupied room.  She found that the parlor down the hall from the ballroom empty.  She gave a relieved sigh, locked the door behind her, and plopped into a cushioned chair.  The princess closed her eyes.

"I'll rest and gather my nerves for a minute.  Then return to the ballroom.  Five minutes, that's all I need."       

Turned out she needed more than five minutes, for when she woke up several hours later the sky was dark.  The ballroom was still alive with voices, but the hourglass in the corner told her it was well past midnight. 

Her father was going to be furious with her.  Not to mention her mother.

Apondrea couldn't face them both now, she was still sleepy.  So she did the only thing she could think of.....

The princess climbed out the balcony and shot into the night.

__________________________________________________________________________ 

Hello Fellow Mistings! Much love to all of you! Sorry this chapter took awhile to finish. I'm rather slow on updating. Curse my ENFP personality (Myer-Briggs, look it up)! I'd love to hear what you think of my the whole thing so far, so I know as to whether I should continue. Don't be scared, I usually don't bite. ;)  Have a completely fantastic day! 

P.S. The song sounds like something that would be played at Apondrea's ball.  XD