x. cops & robbers

Head on over to my profile for an announcement of unrelated spin-offs. So far, I have two in the works as drafts.

Cops & Robbers

      UNFORTUNATELY, MY DAY seemed full of surprises. Our gym teacher informed us that our Final in two months included running one mile within fifteen minutes, and that was just if we wanted to pass. We had to do it in twelve if we wanted an A.

      "I can't do this," I muttered, jogging a few feet behind Heath. Coach had insisted we practice for our mile run, but all the practicing in the world wouldn't make me finish that run in under fifteen minutes, much less twenty. My lungs and legs were on fire and I was pretty sure the throbbing behind my eyes would soon turn into a migraine.

Heath slowed to keep my pace and I clenched my jaw. He hadn't even broken a sweat. "You look like you need a drink."

I scowled. "You're a jerk."

"I think you mean 'jackass'."

"If the shoe fits," I grumbled. I may not favor cursing aloud, but I certainly did enough of it in my mind at my blond friend. "God, when will this be over?"

Heath subtly pulled his phone from his pocket, holding it against his side and out of Coach's view. "In six minutes, give or take." He slid it back inside his pocket. "Do you want me to walk you home after this?"

I shook my head. "I think I'll be fine. I'm going to take my time, that's for sure."

Heath laughed. "I believe that." I swung out a hand to smack his arm but he dodged and laughed harder. Too exhausted to try again, I accepted my failure.

"Get your things, class ends in five minutes," Coach shouted to the class, eyes trained on his phone on the table he referred to as his 'desk'. I envied him in his comfortable looking chair and gratefully slowed to a stop at his command.

When we made it to the bleachers where our books sat, I leaned over and pressed my palms to my knees. Heath patted my back a little too roughly and I coughed. "Now you get to walk home. Aren't you happy?"

"I'll be happy when I'm in my bed." I groaned. "My legs hurt. And my throat. And my chest. Everything hurts."

I straightened and stretched my arms above my head, flushing when a pair of brown eyes caught mine. Heath followed my gaze and grinned. "That's the guy who flirted with you during dodgeball, right? Go talk to him."

"I don't even know him," I argued, averting my eyes to my bag as I slung it over my shoulder. I'd grabbed it from my locker and brought it to class to avoid the trip after, and was glad I did after all the running. The less I was on my feet, the better. "Or his name."

"That's why you should go talk to him," said Heath, grabbing his books. Unlike me, he hadn't thought to go to his locker before class. We started for the gym doors together. "You could use a man in your life, Charity."

"I have you, H," I dismissed. "I don't need a man when I have a perfectly nice boy to accompany me."

Heath glared. "I'm a man."

"If that's what you call it." We reached the end of the hall, where the exit stood to our right and Heath's locker far to our left. It was time we split. "I'm not looking for a relationship. He can flirt all he wants, but I won't entertain him. Even if he does have pretty eyes."