chapter eleven

There wasn't much to look at in the small room. The chair was plain and wooden, the walls were white, and it held no windows. I finally fell asleep after awhile of staring, dreaming of nothing but pain and sadness. Dreams, more like nightmares. I didn't remember them, but they left a sense of dread once I awoke the next morning. I had to assume it was morning. Could a night filled with fear pass so easily? Why did time not stop for everyone?

The only reason I awoke was because of a slamming door, the action sending me flying. I couldn't even scream in fear.

"Eat this, starvation isn't how I want you to die," he sneered, throwing a silver package at me. It was a poptart, and by the time I looked up he was gone again. I ate the food graciously, which gave me the strength to at least think. My stomach wasn't gnawing at itself anymore, but it wasn't fully satisfied. I was surprised he could even remember I needed food. Why didn't he just let me die?

It also reminded me of Renesmee, and how she told me about her family. That conversation seemed years ago. I wished to be back in her arms. But wishing wasn't going to get me anywhere.

Perhaps I was insane for thinking of escaping again. I couldn't wait around, not anymore, as being alone was starting to crush me. Give me Liberty or give me Death I laughed at myself.

If I left now, what would happen to me? If I chose just to walk out the door -that I hoped was still unlocked - and tried to escape again. I wouldn't make it far, I was sure, but was a suicide mission better than sitting here unknowing? I also continued to wonder if Alice could see my hesitation on some decisions, making his future change along with mine. Surely my indecision helped no one. I needed to make a decision.

Dying was better than sitting here, I decided. I stood, a little too fast, and made my way over to the door. I could not stop now. My heart raced, much to my misfortune, and I sat my hand atop the still cold knob. Slowly turning it, I was still not met with the lock. I smiled wickedly at his obvious stupidity and lack of foresight on a human. I was less predictable than my sister, but still highly so.

There was more light outside the door this time, and I had to hold back a sigh of relief. My morning idea was correct, at least. I slipped through the cracked door, closing it lightly behind me. I couldn't hear it close, and I hoped he couldn't either. Taking careful steps I walked down the hallway ahead of me, a window was staring at me on the other end. How I wished to be on the other side of it. How I wished to have never have seen it.

I made my way as silently as my human feet could take me toward the window. I could jump out of it, if it wasn't too high. Though, as I came upon it I knew that would be impossible. I was in a second story home, and jumping wasn't high on my list of things to do right now. I wasn't afraid of heights, but I was afraid of getting injured and unable to escape. Beside the window, though, was a set of stairs. The ones I had felt in the night. The hallway and stairs were much different from the ones I had created in my mind. Stepping on the first one I was met with silence, and my heart was beating out of my chest.

Most of the steps were like this, to my luck. I was met with minimal noise, and I was surprised he couldn't hear me. No, he had to hear me. Did he leave? He was dumb, but not an idiot. The last step brought me a momentary sense of relief, as they were always the hardest to keep quiet.

At the bottom I was greeted with a room, a mostly empty one with a single chair staring out of a window. The outside air looked cool, and I wished to feel it on my skin. The room was scary, and I had to wonder what it was used for. It seemed to be sat there on purpose; maybe I was walking straight into a trap.

"I was worried you would be smart," came the voice I was dreading most. I froze when he came into sight, and he smiled. I had walked into a trap. I cursed myself silently. My heart thrummed in my chest, the noise reaching even my own ears. At any moment I thought I would collapse.