Chapter Thirty-three

ابدأ من البداية

He sighed and we left for the palace together. As we walked into the King's quarters, holding hands, we found the Queen crying softly and Lahran standing in front of the window. Lord Gringham, the man who heard overseen my inquisition when I was summoned to the council, was also there, looking distraught.

"My Prince," Lord Gringham addressed Ovian. "I am sorry, your father just passed away." Ovian's fingers tightened their hold on mine. The queen's wails became louder. I almost rolled my eyes at how dramatic she was being when she had had a hand in the King's death.

But I was more concerned about Ovian whose eyes were shooting daggers at the Queen and Lahran. Luckily, the two of them were not looking so I stepped in front of him and brought his eyes back to mine. "Ovian, I am so sorry." I whispered.

He nodded. Then turned towards the council chief, "What next?"

"Well, we need to-"

"How can you just stand there with no emotion? And to think you were his favourite!" Shouted the Queen, her eyes blazing. I could see Ovian's jaw working, like he was trying to stop himself from saying something he would regret. Quickly, I intervened. "Of course, Ovian is devastated your majesty. These past few days, he has not been himself."

The Queen glared at Ovian before leaving the room in a fit of silks and lace. Lahran on the other hand was looking somewhat amused. "How soon will my coronation begin, Lord Gringham?"

I gasped. "Lahran!"

Lord Gringham turned to look at Lahran, "Its too soon to tell, Prince Lahran. But I am sure the throne is not going anywhere."

"Its 'your Grace' now, Gringham. Officially, I should be ruling my kingdom now even before the coronation."

"Not yet, Prince Lahran. That's why we have the Council of Seven. Be patient, you will get your turn." The nobleman said grimly. My respect for this man just doubled.

Embarasement coated Lahran's cheeks in red. He glared at all of us before following after his mother.

I sighed in relief.

"Frankly, I wish you are the one we crown king. That boy is too immature to climb the throne." He said rubbing his jaw. "He will be a huge problem to the council when he becomes king."

I looked at Ovian, and he nodded his head before asking the old man to sit down.

"I think my father was killed." Ovian began.

"Hmmm. The council thinks so too. It's too sudden especially when Sebastian had shown no prior health issues with his heart. The doctors had been thorough in their investigation. And I wouldn't put it past mother and son, though." He wasn't surprised. "But we cannot make any baseless accusations. We will need proof."

"So you think they did it?" I asked, whispering. We didn't know who may be listening.

Lord Gringham folded his fingers together, "I don't know my dear. But just in case, we will conduct our investigations. And for the meantime, do not discuss this with anybody." He said sternly.

We both nodded. Then Ovian said, "You may also want to find out who the Queen's boyfriend is. He has golden eyes and golden hair."

At that Lord Gringham, frowned, then his eyes widened. "Holy Mother! Could...could..." he stuttered.

I and Ovian nod. "But we need proof."

"I will find proof," the elderly man said vehemently. "If they killed my friend, they will pay dearly for it. I will make sure of it. We can't have him becoming king."

At that, we got up and left the Lord in his misery. I held onto Ovian as we walk back to our quarters. Now we had to wait until news from Lord Gringham came to us.

Ovian's POV

Just a few hours later, the news of my father's death was all over the media. A lot of people have been calling to offer their condolences and support. The calls had been too distracting so I had switched off my phones. I wasn't in the mood. Knowing that my father was murdered and knowing the people who did it and not being able to do anything about it, was frustrating as hell.

I wanted to rip somebody's head off. Somebody like Lahran. He had been giving interviews and showing how 'distraught' he was at my father's passing. Right now his face was on the TV screen. I picked up the remote and flung it at the screen in an attempt to wipe his face off the screen. The TV screen cracked a bit but didn't go off. I got up and pulled it from the wall and threw it across the room.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhh!" I screamed. Tania who had been in the room ran out of the bedroom in fear. She found me on the floor.

"Its okay." She crooned, cradling my head in her bosom. I held unto her as I cried. I couldn't hold back my emotions anymore.

Lahran and his mother are going to pay dearly for what they have done. I thought. I will make sure of it.