Chapter 22

RIVER

Something's wrong.

Worried, I lean in towards her, cupping her pale cheeks. Her beautiful eyes are closed tightly, almost as if she's having a nightmare.

But she isn't sleeping, is she?

"Angel?" 

No response.

I didn't mean to scare her! Damn it! 

She just trembles, her entire body tense with what I can only assume is fear. 

What did I say? Can she really be afraid of sharks after everything we've been through? After a bullet, she's afraid of a shark? But I told her that I'm not a shark! Not a literal one, anyways.

She remains unresponsive for a few terrible minutes, making my heartbeat quicken dangerously. Until, eventually, her eyes snap open and land on the window. Horror fills her face and she gasps, lunging onto my lap. "River! He's back!"

Confused, I glance towards the car window, but see nothing out of the ordinary. The streets in this area are empty at the moment, not a soul in sight.

Desperately, Thia burrows her face against my abdomen, her tiny body trembling in fear. Curling into a ball on top of me, she momentarily resembles a frightened puppy.

Unsure and concerned, I wrap my arms around her, rubbing her back gently. "Who's back, princess?"

She starts hyperventilating, obviously terrified, "H--him! He's come back for me!"

Him? 

Anger, white and hot, explodes inside of me, taking me off guard. Holding her tighter to me, I ask tightly, "Is there a man after you?"

Shakily, she moves up my body like a monkey, nuzzling her face into the crook of my neck. "Yes," she breathes, distraught. "And he's right out the window!" Suddenly, she goes still and lowers her voice into an unsteady whisper, "Don't be scared, River. He's not after you, I'll distract him, you run."

"Sweetheart," I whisper back, glancing towards the empty window once more, "I'm not leaving you. And there is nobody out there."

Once again I'm amazed at her bravery. Going from a trembling mess to a fierce kitten of a protector in seconds.

Hesitantly, she peeks at the window, before immediately hiding her face again. "Yes he is!"

D*mn! She's become delusional. Or was she always dilusional?

I press a gentle kiss to her shoulder, "Don't worry, baby. I'll protect you."