Chapter 21

In this chapter, there will be several flashbacks. They will be marked with a •.

THIA

I knew it.

He's a shark.

Shoot, I finally find a guy that I really like and he's a shark! I should've known!

His teeth are abnormally sharp, but I always kinda thought of him as more of the vampire type.

Confused as to how I should react, I just sit there stiffly. How does one act around a shark?

And is he, like, a Great White? Or one of those weird Hammerheads?

Wow, these are questions that I never thought I'd ask myself.

Surprisingly, I'm quite calm considering, I mean...I've never liked sharks. They just seem so..soulless...

With their pitch black eyes and all their teeth. There's just something eerie about them.

But, oddly, River seems to be the least soulless person I've ever met. This is so strange...

Subtly, I lean away from him, a shiver of fear running up my spine. Ever since I watched Soul Surfer, I've had this crazy fear of sharks.

I mean, I don't want to lose my arm! And who knows? I could even lose my head!

Beginning to panic, I stare straight ahead, terror freezing me in place. Why didn't he ever tell me?

Never before has he harmed me, why am I suddenly so frightened? Something about the area of town we're in, it brings back memories that I've tried to keep hidden.

Thoughts that I have worked so hard to forget over the years, they all come rushing back to me.

Previously, when we drove through the scary parts, I've felt safe with the people I'm with, but now that River's a shark...

As if in reply to my crumbling mental walls, paranoia washes over me, and a sharp pain begins to throb in my skull.

No, stubbornly, I squeeze my eyes shut in attempt to keep everything out, No, leave me alone.

"Thia?"

"Hayden," I groaned, annoyed, as we walk through the dark, eerie streets. "Shut up!"

"Baby, are you okay?!"

Flashbacks continue to plague my mind, bringing tears to my eyes.

"What? So you can dish it, but you can't take it?" Hayden scowled at me, unhappy.

"I don't like him," I repeat, stubbornly refusing to admit the obvious.

"You can crush on him, you know," he told me, swinging his arm around my hunched shoulders, "Just because he's too old for you. I mean, you'll never end up with him, but that doesn't mean you can't like him." •

Warm, gentle hands caress my cheek, momentarily bringing me back. The pretty hazel eyes of River the Shark stare down at me worriedly. "What's going on? Tell me, princess."

Weakly, I mumble, "Is that why your name is River? Because you're a shark?"

Realization covers his face and he smiles, reminding me about his sharp teeth.

"Well, what about you and Amanda?" I smirk, knowing that he always gets mad when I suggest them getting together. "I know you like her," I tease, wiggling my brows suggestively.

"What? Shut up," he growls, pulling away grumpily, "You don't know anything, you're, like, twelve."

"Um, excuse me?" Offended, I slap his chest, "I'm fifteen!"

"Whatever." •

"I'm not a real shark, Thee," River assures me, taking me by surprise. His lips are tilted upwardly, amusement shining in his expression.

His smile is so beautiful, I think, practically in awe.

But then, all at once, I'm yanked roughly into the night that I have never been able to remember completely.

Behind us, the sound of heavy footsteps followed, nearing us rapidly.

Immediately, we looked at each other, terrified. However, we manageed to restrain ourselves from glancing back.

Quietly, Hayden mouthed for me to run, his brown eyes full of fear.

With a furiously pounding heart, I nodded, thinking that he would follow. But he didn't.

If only he had.

Instead of staying with me, he turned back to stall the man following us. We were used to creeps lurking around, we lived in the bad part of town. But we had never had to actually fight them.

Not until that night.

Scared out of my mind, I sprinted ahead, my old sneakers pounding against the sidewalk lightly.

After a few moments, I slow down, not hearing anything behind me. Confused, I turn, panicking when I don't see my brother anywhere.

"Hayden?!" Where was he?

Later, I learned that he was being amazingly brave, trying to protect his little sister. But, unfortunately, the creep wasn't alone.

They'd been planning their attack for some time. They knew that he'd stay behind.

Suddenly, a filthy hand covered my mouth and the awful stench of the pervert behind me brought tears to my eyes.

Desperation filled me, urging me to fight back. Which resulted in my biting him.

But he never stopped, he just ignored me, dragging me into a dark, secluded alley. "Hush now."

No! Inwardly, I screamed, Leave me alone!

But he just turned me to face him, his yellow eyes gleaming with malice.

I knew what his intentions were in that moment.•

But now, I can't remember what they were.

Opening my eyes, I gasp in horror. Pure terror filling my body when I see two yellow eyes gleaming at me through the window.