"Alright! Alright! Break it up," Hayden forces himself into our conversation.

Hesitantly, River places me on my feet, his beautiful eyes holding concern. "If you need anything," he repeats, emphasising his point, "If you're having trouble sleeping. Or if your shoulder hurts, or your stomach. Or even if you just miss me."

"Okay," I agree, beginning to grow anxious of his departure. I don't want him to go. I've become so accustomed to his company, the fact that he won't be there has me frightened.

Glancing behind me, he looks at my family with pleading eyes. "Please take care of her," he practically begs them, his hand twitching, as if to touch me.

"Of course," scoffs Hayden, sounding offended. However, I can't seem to tear my gaze away from River long enough to check.

Reluctantly, he opens the front door, glancing at me worriedly before he leaves, closing it tightly behind him.

My stomach sinks with dread and I nibble nervously on my lip as I stare longingly at the door. I wish he would just come back. Last time he left me, I nearly got kidnapped.

Shaking, I cast a quick glance towards my curious family.

Hayden frowns, worried, "Are you okay, Thia?"

Skittishly, I once again look towards the closed door. "What if he gets hurt? Do you think he'll get shot, too? Hayden, I don't want him hurt!" I start freaking out, instinctively reaching for the brass knob.

"What the hell, Thee?" Hayden storms up to me and pulls me away from the door, turning me to face his confused/angry expression. "What is your problem?!"

Despite knowing that Hayden wouldn't hurt me, I feel my nose tingle with tears. Already, I feel insecure and unsafe, yet he hasn't been gone for two minutes yet. What if I get shot again, but this time he won't be here to save me? What if I'm kidnapped and I never see him again?!

"Can't I just go with him," I ask shakily, sniffing as I look at the ground. For some reason, I feel like I've disappointed them for wanting to go.

Hayden shakes me, sounding frustrated, "Snap out of it! What the f**k has he done to you?! This must be some kind of stockholm syndrome!"

River always messed up the word 'truck' too...

Before my brother can shake me again, Mom takes me from his arms and hugs me tightly. "Don't worry, honey. He'll be fine, and so will you."

Will I?

"Come on, let's go watch a movie," she exclaims excitedly, pulling me towards the living room. 

She successfully distracts me for a few hours and I only miss him every few minutes instead of constantly.

However, when I go to bed, there is nothing to ease the feeling of abandonment. 

Laying there, I stare up at the ceiling as tears fill my eyes and blur my vision. Fearfully, I clutch my duvet in my shaking hands. I can't seem to close my eyes without seeing those two men pointing guns at me.

I miss him so much. I just want him to hold me again, I hate feeling unsafe like this.

Eventually, though, I manage to drift off into a restless sleep.

Cold hands grasp my arms, yanking me out of bed. My feet hit the floor with a thump, waking me up entirely.

Terrified, I look up at the two men that tried to kidnap me before. They simultaneously sneer at me before looking ahead. Following their gaze, I see the empty doorway where River previously ran in and rescued me.