Chapter 3

The trees pass and I close my eyes to ignore the feeling of guilt building inside of me. How could Jake spring a confession of love on me? This whole time I was trying to get back our friendship, but it wasn't friendship he wanted. No. He wanted us. He wanted us to be together again. We were trying to achieve two different goals, making us destined to fail. My thoughts try to take me back to the trail earlier.

"Jake, I'm not in love with you anymore. I love you as my friend and nothing else," I confess. Jake's face visibly breaks along with my heart. I've hurt him once again, how could I not see it? How could I not see that he was still in love with me? I guess at the end of the day, I couldn't pick up Jake's actions and emotions like I used to. This feels like our first break-up all over again and I once again feel the pain of losing Jake.

As I walk away, Jake doesn't try to stop me. I'm the one to turn around once I've walked a distance away. He's sitting on the ground turned towards the view we were just looking at. However, his head is in between his legs, that are now against his chest. He's hurting. I walk over to him and in seconds my arms wrapped around his defeated body. "I'm sorry Jake, I never wanted to hurt you again. Our timing is always wrong it seems, because it took me until recently to stop loving you. One day, we'll be okay. For now, I'm so sorry for hurting you again," I tell him while tears slowly fall from my eyes.

Jake looks up at me and there are tears on his face too. "I thought you'd never stop loving me," his words sting the air. I don't have strength to answer him, so I only nod my head and separate from him. I walk away wishing I never chose to go with Jake today.

Almost at Logan's place and the tears have finally stopped falling. I receive a message alert and momentarily I'm afraid to glance at the receiver. However, I know the message will not simply disappear, so I find the courage to look at my phone. Grayson's name stares up at me. I open and find to my surprise I had sent the message I typed earlier. Great going Abbi.

Grayson: Hi Abbi! I'd love to meet up with you, just let me know when you're free!

A sigh escapes and I lean my head back, while closing my eyes. Do I want to meet up now? I arrive at Logan's and slowly make my way up, hoping that when I get to the apartment he's not going to throw plates at me again. I open the door cautiously and find it to be quiet, but that doesn't mean I'm in the clear yet. I walk in looking around to make sure Logan or Evan are not hiding. Once I realize that I am in the clear, I release the breath I was holding and go to lay down.

Today has been crazy and I'm exhausted. I look at Grayson's message again and decide to text him tomorrow, because sleep sounds amazing right now. Luckily, my last encounter with Jake doesn't keep me up from worry and shortly sleep takes me.

Next Day

I wake up to a loud noise in the kitchen. After I get ready for the day, I step out and find Lydia cleaning up broken plates. We make eye contact briefly and I give her a small smile, which she returns. She puts up with a lot and I applaud her for that. "ABBI! You're finally up!" Logan screams once he notices my presence. I nod and make my way over to him. "Good morning," I tell him while giving a hug. "You looked so peaceful I didn't want to disturb you," he admits while placing his camera down. "How was yesterday, after..." he begins to ask, but my phone interrupts him. I look down and see Tony's name light up my phone. "I'll be right back," I tell him as I leave the living room.