Chapter 4

Farren awoke to the sound of a knock on her door the next morning. Merely half awake and slightly confused as to where she was, she maneuvered her way off of the balcony and to the door, where Alibaba waited patiently for her.

"Good morning," he smiled warmly. "Sharrkan sent me to get you."

"This early?" Farren sighed as the two began walking down the hall.

"He must be excited," Alibaba guessed. "I've only been training with him for a few days, and he's never been up this early for it."

"His excitement is pointless." Farren huffed as they roamed outside.

"I wouldn't think so," he replied. "I'm actually really excited too."

"What for?"

"I always get excited to see new forms of sword skill," Alibaba looked to Farren. "Especially with a sword as heavy as yours."

Farren made an 'ah' sound as the pair made their way to the outdoor training deck. The morning air was cool and welcoming, and with it came sunshine that warmed the top of Farren's head of black hair. She was never fond of the sun, which was ironic.

Alibaba and Farren approached Sharrkan, who was waiting — clearly impatiently — for the pair to arrive.

"It's about time." He complained immediately, crossing his arms over his tan chest.

"We didn't take that long." Alibaba countered, frowning.

"Enough," Farren sighed, slipping her Metal Vessel out of its sheath. "Let's begin."

"I like a woman who gets right down to it." Sharrkan mused, raising his eyebrows at her.

"Unluckily for you," she looked back at him, unamused. "I'm not into little boys."

Alibaba couldn't contain his mocking snicker, and for it, Sharrkan knocked him in the back of the head with the handle of his sword.

"What are the two of you hoping to learn?" Farren asked, changing the subject.

"Everything," Alibaba told her. "I've used a dagger most of the time, so I don't know much about swords at all."

Crossing her gaze to Sharrkan, who merely shrugged, Farren proceeded in displaying herself into a fighting stance. "A heavy sword such as this one requires two hands. Weight or mass is not a discriminating element, but it is a limiting factor for both."

"Whaddaya mean by that?" Sharrkan asked, only half interested.

"The weight of the sword is wieldable as long as it's weight is within the usable bracket, though that bracket depends on the wielder," Farren explained. "Using two hands gives much quicker and precise tip control and, technically speaking, gives the wielder a much stronger body structure."

She carried on to demonstrate a simple slice, to which Alibaba and Sharrkan observed silently.

"It takes very little attention to precision than a lighter, single handed blade, which gives you more time to focus on your opponent rather than if your blade is going to accurately strike or not. Though, to accurately show you what I mean, I think you'll need different weapons."

"We've got an armory in the palace," Sharrkan told her, waving a hand for both Farren and Alibaba to follow him. "I'll take you there."

Exchanging brief glances, the two followed suit.

"Are you interested in learning about smaller swords?" Alibaba asked as they walked.

"Not particularly," Farren replied. "It would be like a downgrade for my skills."