Little Signs

That night, I dream that various things are floating across my room. I'm laying calmly in my bed as one by one they slowly move around. It's sort of hypnotizing to watch and my eyes trail after them. I don't care to question what is happening.

All of sudden, someone bursts through my door and the objects fall down. I sit up and they come over to my bed, shaking me by the shoulders. It's Harry and he looks frightened.

"What are you doing!" he exclaims with darting, wide eyes. "Wake up!"

My eyes fly open as I wake with a start. I turn off my phone's alarm. Meanwhile, last night's dream is starting to fade away as quickly as I try to remember it.

As I sit up, I wince at the headache that's starting to form towards the center of my forehead. I rub it absentmindedly and hope that I'm not getting sick. Maybe I should take a pain reliever.

I start getting ready for my run with Harry and accidentally stub my pinky toe on one of my books. "Motherfucker," I whisper-shout. What is it doing on the floor? I also notice that my pillow is on the floor. Was my room this messy last night? I sigh and clean up quickly.

With my hair secure in a black headband and my running shoes double-knotted, I head downstairs and grab my water bottle out of the fridge, taking care not to make a lot of noise. I double-check that I have everything I need and go to the park.

Harry is stretching his legs out on one of the park benches. Today he's wearing a black muscle tee and red basketball shorts. His unruly hair is up in a small bun. He smiles when he sees me walking towards him.

"Hey," I say and sit down on the dewy grass.

He grins and replies in a raspy voice, "Hi." 

I extend my arms out to him. "Sit and stretch with me."

He chuckles. "Anything you need."

We sit with our feet flat against each other's and hold hands. Harry pulls back and I stretch forward. Then I lean back and he stretches down. We repeat this for a couple of minutes in silence. I'm satisfied at the slight burning in my muscles.

Harry's hands are calloused, but smooth against mine. The space between our fingers gets warm and I stop for second to wipe my slightly sweaty hands on my shorts. I can visibly see his muscles get taunt each time I pull him towards me. My breaths are coming in faster as we slowly come to a stop.

Harry stares at me intensely. He stands up and pulls me close to him.

"I think it would be good to start running right about now," I whisper as I stare into his green eyes.

"Oh, really?" Harry murmurs. His lips are just inches from mine and I can feel his warm breath. His thumb brushes lightly over my lips.

I know that he's about to kiss me when he slowly leans in closer. At the last second, I turn my head.

Harry slightly sighs in disappointment and I step back. 

I anxiously look at anywhere but him. 

"Let's start then. Shall we?"

I nod and we set out running. All I can think about, though, is the fact that I didn't let him kiss me! He's a good-looking, sweet guy, but I also just met him. It would be crazy to be going this fast with some guy just because he's a little hot. Okay, very hot. That's not a good enough reason.

By the time we finish running, I've convinced myself that if the opportunity arises in the future, I might let him kiss me. Hopefully, he didn't take that rejection as a sign of me not being interested in him. I do still want to go on a date with him.

We're both drinking out of our water bottles and I stare at his lips. He wipes his wet mouth and I almost choke on my water. Keep your eyes somewhere else, Y/N.

"So, I'll see you late then, love?"

My heartbeat speeds up a bit. He still wants to go out! "Yes!" I reply, a little too eagerly I might add.

Harry looks like he's trying to suppress a grin as he walks away. "Great. I'll text you when it's time to pick you up. Wear something casual," he calls out before heading down the street.

All day, my body is buzzing as I keep reminding myself that I'm going out with Harry. On a date. Alone. To God knows where.

I walk around the house multiple times, fidgeting and trying to keep myself busy. My brother keeps looking at me strangely, which starts to irritate me. So I was a little bit nervous. So what?

For my outfit, I pick out my favorite jean shorts and a dark green cropped t-shirt. I let my hair dry after showering and brush it out, rubbing in some moisturizer to make it soft and smell good. It's still fairly hot outside and I decide to pull my hair into a bun to keep it away from my neck.

Harry texts me, asking for my address, and I send it to him. He lets me know that he's on his way. Now, I start to really freak out. 

Stepping in front of my dresser, I swipe on a coat of mascara and spray perfume on. I slip on my Vans and lose my balance, flinging my arm out to grab a hold of something. I still fall down right on my knees. 

My dresser rattles and the door to my room slams shut. I look at them both in confusion. The window by my bed is closed so it couldn't have been a draft. I open the door and stick my head out. "I don't know if you thought slamming my door was funny because it wasn't, Jacob!" I yell down the hall.

Gosh, he is so annoying sometimes.

Harry texts me that he's here. I triple-check myself in the mirror and head downstairs.

My brother is standing by the kitchen island eating. "You going out?" he asks with a mouth full of food. 

"Yeah, why?"

"When are mom and dad gonna meet Harry?"

"Well, they aren't here right now so maybe afterwards. I have to go. See you later."

"Bye," he says while I walk away. "Don't do anything stupid!"

"Yeah, yeah."

"I'm serious."

Harry's gets out of the car when he sees me walk out the front door. He opens the passenger door for me and grins. 

I give him a shy smile and wait for him to get in. He pulls out of the driveway.

"Now can you tell me where we're going, Harry?"

He smirks. "We're going to several places, darling." He grabs my hand and kisses it. "It'll be fun, though. I promise."