21

(Dan)

~ One day, years later ~

I wake up to loud sobbing, and an empty bed. 

I sit up in the bed, rubbing my eyes tiredly. 

"Oh my god, daddy, it feels like my heart's been shattered. I can't stand it." I hear our daughter's voice sob. I get up out of the bed, walking towards the commotion. 

"Oh, Dad." She sobs, brown curls covering her freckled face. "He cheated on me. He's a fucking asshole. I hate him. I hate him. God, I hate him." 

"Oh Annie.." My husband mutters, hugging her tightly. 

I walk over to the couch, standing there and looking down curiously. There I see my daughter, Anne, sitting in the middle with her long brown curly hair in a mess covering her face. I knew I'd have to see the day my daughter came home crying about a boy, I just didn't know it'd be this boy. They seemed so in love, I would've thought they'd be together forever. 

"What happened, Annelle?" I ask, kneeling in front of her. 

"Will, He.. He cheated on me." She cries, sobbing into her hands. 

"Oh, baby." I mutter, sitting on the other side of her and hugging her tightly. 

"How could he do this to me?" She sobs. 

"Dad.. It hurts. It hurts so bad. It physically feels like my heart's been ripped out and nothing is helping."

"I know, baby. I get it." I nod, remembering a short 15 years ago when a similar thing happened to me. 

"You couldn't possibly. You.. You married the love of your life. You guys are always happy." 

I let go of her, turning towards Phil to see tears in his blue eyes. We share a knowing look, both of us remembering those few days so many years ago. 

"Actually, Annelle.. We do know what you mean." Phil says softly, wiping his eyes. 

"What?" She asks, tears drying as she sits up, looking at us curiously. "Dad?" She asks, turning towards me. 

"He's right." I nod. 

"You.. Who cheated?"

The room goes silent, as we both think of how to tell our 16 year old daughter this. I look over at Phil whose biting his lip and looking down, a tear rolling down his cheek. 

"Daddy?" She mumbles with a shaky voice, looking towards Phil. 

"Me, Annelle. It was me." 

"Why?"

"I wasn't thinking. Young, dumb, thinking everything would work out either way." 

"But you loved him?"

"I did.." He mumbles, grabbing my hand. "I do." 

"What we're trying to say, Anne.. Is that you might think the world is ending right now.. And trust me I know what that's like. But you can't sit in bed and cry all day, lord knows that's what I did. Talk to him, Annelle." 

"I can't. I can't look at him. How did you..?"

"It was hard."

"He punched me." Phil mutters. 

"I did not." 

"Well, you hit me hard enough." 

"You deserved it. But that's not the point. Anniekinz, I know its hard now. Cause it was hard for me.. But if he really loves you, like your dad did for me, he'll prove it." 

"What if he never does?"

"He's not worth your time."

"How do you forgive a cheater?"

"Time, patience and love."

"Did you forgive him?"

"It was over 15 years ago, honey. I do."

"Do you?" He wonders with tears in his eyes.

"Of course, Phil." I nod.

"You guys.. What am I gonna do?"

"That's up to you.. We can give you all the advice we can, but you've got to make that decision for yourself. If you really think you'll work out, then go for it." 

"I don't know.. I need to think.." She mutters tiredly, getting up and walking to her room. 

I turn towards Phil and meet his eyes. "Dan.."

"Did you really think I didn't forgive you?"

"Dan.. I-"

"I get it, but its been years. How could you think after all this time..?"

"I guess I'm still guilty about it, Dan."

"So you had a one night stand with some guy over ten years ago.. Plus, its my hickeys on your neck now."

"So you really love me?"

"I loved you then, and I still love you now. Why else do you think I married you?"

"I don't know.. Pity?"

"Phil.." I mumble, hugging him. "I mean it when I say I love you.. You know that."

"How could you have forgiven that?"

"I guess love conquers all."

"I guess it does." 

(774) 

~The End ~ 

A/N- the end! Short but sweet n sad 

so yeah.. go read my other books! I think they're good.. 

-M