Chapter 6

“Freyr, please calm down.” I spoke softly to my brother. I watched his face go from distorted anger to annoyance. His eyes were blue and sly, as if he had something to hide. But my brother could hide anything from me.

“I am calm, Sigyn. Perfectly calm.” I watched him sit back down at the table and place his face in his hands with a sigh. “I just can’t stand Freya. I personally don’t know how you can.”

“Patience. Great amounts of it in fact.” I walked over and sat down beside him with a smile on my face as I patted his back soothingly. “Look, I know Freya betrayed you, but she was scared. Your sudden…change scared us all. Even me, to be frank. But I know that is not the point you seek.”

“I loved Wilhelmina, Sigyn. I still do. But because of Freya, I never see her anymore.” My mood saddened at Freyr’s own. My brother was not a monster. He had just done monstrous things for the sake of love. That was not something I could judge him for.

My brother was love sick, and that wasn’t something I could yet fathom. So I decided to distract him from our current conversation.

“How is Loki adapting to the changes here?” I asked politely. I found it a great stride of progress for Freyr to take Loki under his wing.

Freyr lifted his head from his mourning state and looked at me with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

“Ah, has my dear sweet baby sister found someone to her liking?” his smiled widely as my face blushed. I stuck out my tongue and ruffled his blonde curls playfully.

“Of course not! I barely know the man! I was simply making polite conversation. Besides, if I had even an iota of interest in the man, I certainly wouldn’t have sent him off with Freya.” Freyr snorted loudly.

“Yes, did the man truly deserve such a torturous fate? You simply should have sent Freya away and left Loki here. The man has quite the twisted sense of humor you would enjoy.” Again Freyr grinned at me widely. I rolled my eyes and let out a small laugh.

“Can we not make this about me?”

“I didn’t say it was.” Freyr smirked. I sighed, completely exasperated with arguing with my brother. “Besides, you have a party to attend tonight. Perhaps i should mention to Loki that my lovely sister is without escort?”

“That would make Trevor furious.” I squeezed my bridge of my nose and shook my head. I was dreading this party tonight.

“That’s the idea.” I laughed outright at Freyr’s words. I certainly gave the idea considerate thought. “Have you talked to mother and father about that?”

“No point. They won’t listen to me.” I sighed. “Anyway, perhaps you’d like to join me for a walk to the gardens? I don’t want to be caught in the halls alone again while Trevor is still on the prowl.” And that was a true statement to be sure, but I liked being about to spend time with my brother before he went into his isolated and depressed state. When he was around me, he was the sunny happy Freyr he once was.

“Fine. I suppose I’ll protect you from that dreaded horses arse. You’ll have to find new protection for your next outing however, because I shall not be doing it again.” He said as he stood from his chair ans escorted me out of the room.

“Why not?” I asked curiously. Freyr gave me a wicked and playful smile.

“It will force you to either learn to accept Trevor or, gods willing, find a new male protector. I know one that would be more than happy to do the job to escape the clutches of your evil sister.” I elbowed him playfully and continued to walk down the hall.