Chapter 5

I was once more escorted to the dining room by Freyr. He spoke very little and his blue eyes were dull with sleepless night. I had slept rather well considering all the chaos that was ruining my mind. I felt today would be a wonderful opportunity to plan my escape since Freyr explained I would have free reign of the castle for the day. It was much appreciated.

I looked at Freyr who was gazing hollowly at the floor in front of him. There was more to this man that he let on.

“Freyr, why did you wear the collar?” I asked suddenly. I didn’t know why I had spoken such words but even I was not that misty about my past.

He stopped in his tracks and sighed. His blue eyes gazed the surrounding area and then he looked to me with a small smile. He lifted his bold chin up in defiance.

“Not all of us what to be controlled, Loki. You cannot keep a bird in a cage forever, without it wanting to be free. Some of us are forced. Most of us give in.”

I watched him then begin walking away towards the dining room. Freyr was a completely mystery. What did he mean by ‘us’?

I let the questions simmer in my mind while I raced to catch up with him and enter the dining hall to break my fast. The King and Queen had yet to arrive, but Sigyn and Freya were just making their way to their seats. But then I saw something I was not expecting.

Trevor. On the arm of Sigyn.

“Gods, that man is such an arse.” I heard Freyr mumble under his breath. I couldn’t contain my smile of agreement at the uncharacteristic comment from Freyr’s mouth. I had to agree. The man was a completely oaf. An arse.

Freyr and I made our way to our seats as we had the night before. I watched with disgust as Sigyn was seated in front of me by Trevor. She looked less than thrilled to be in his company.

“I hope to see you soon, my lady. Perhaps later during the dance this evening?” He smiled as he kissed her hand. She rolled her eyes and snatched her hand from him. I looked to Freya on the other side of Sigyn to see her smirking at the exchange. She found her sister’s disgust entertaining.

“Not on your life. Get used to disappointment.” Sigyn mumbled under her breath as she helped herself to some fruit. I had to admit. I found her disgust funny as well.

Trevor didn’t seem to hear her as he walked off with a grand smile on his face.

“Is the scourge upon womankind gone yet?” I heard Sigyn whisper to Freyr. He looked over me to the doorway and laughed.

“Yes, sister. He is gone. For now.” I looked as Sigyn let out a sigh of relief.

“Gods be praised.” She mumbled. I watched her take a bit of apple with a blissful look on her face. “His roaming hands will soon become broken if he continues his groping. Disgusting pig.”

“I must say he seemed quiet taken with you.” I spoke to Sigyn jokingly. She ignored my comment as Freya spoke for her.

“Well he certainly should be. She has been promised to him.” My insides sank slightly at those words. But…why?.

“Mother and Father obviously didn’t think things through.” Sigyn spoke through a bite of apple.

“Why did they betroth you and not Freya?” I asked Sigyn again. She looked up to me and then continued eating her apple.

“Because Sigyn refuses to be courted. She has yet to go to any of the balls mother and father threw in her honor and she she’ll have to be claimed by someone else in order to rid herself of that pig.”