Day 25, Part III - At Last We Come to the Beginning of the End

"Okay, so this is the last weekend day that you're going to get," the Writer said to herself as she settled down at the writing desk to work, "better make it count."

The faux-living room was empty at the moment and other than the background hiss of the churning story mists and the tiny snores of the plot bunnies, it was silent. It didn't look like there would be any help from the fictives today...

There was a pause as she stared down at the blank pages.

"You'd think this would get easier after a month of trying," she said with a sigh and started up a Word Sprint.

~*~*~*~*~

"You won't slow it much," Jashn said. "You know that, right?" He didn't tell her she was going to die, because she knew. She'd known since they started this journey and it hadn't seemed to bother her then.

"But it will be more than nothing." Khany stood firm and waited.

"I don't want to do this," the town dragon said, but they had no choice and he knew it. Those few hours of delay might be enough to save the town.

"Being a dragon is never easy," Jashn laughed, brittle but not broken. "Now show me how this thing works and we can get on our way."

"No," broke in the city dragon. "You can't leave, I need you here." She stomped a foot, somewhat shakily. "You must think of the city."

"This fight only affected us," Jashn pointed out. "Other than the people in this room, nothing has changed. I won't be missed and you know that. It will only be a day or two, stop worrying."

She hissed at him, but made no move to stop them.

"We need to go," said Khany.

The two dragons turned back to the tube.

"So how do we convince it to send something as large as a person?" asked Jashn. "The rip it made before was much too small."

"Lots of magic and a little science," said the town dargon and fiddled with some settings. It took a few nerve wracking moments, but he seemed quite pleased when he was finished. "Here, toast it for me would you?" He held it out and Jashn rolled his eyes, but burned off the oil and residue with a careful blast of flame.

"You ready for this?" Jashn asked as they turned to Khany.

She nodded and the two of them began funneling magic into the tube. Once it reached critical mass a rift began to open up in the air.

Kahny reached into the rift and tugged it open, feeling the magic dance along her fingers. This was different magic than the type in the pools, it felt more active, more electric and she almost laughed before she remembered where she was. And what they were doing.

As soon as the rift was large enough she climbed in, not looking back as it closed behind her.

~*~*~*~*~

"Sooo... right." The Writer frowned down at her notes. "How does a letter even get from one side to the other? It can't be an instantaneous transfer because the letter didn't vanish as soon as it touched the portal. There has to be something in between..."

A void plot bunny twitched an ear in its sleep.

"Maybe there's just a hole and it falls out the other side like in Portal. Or maybe it's just gravity and it falls out? Then again this is a person and not a letter, so maybe it works differently if you're alive to pay attention."