The Fangs Out Of The Bag

"Edward," I exclaim in awe. I have never seen anything so inhumanly beautiful than Edward in that moment. He looks like the brightest of angels, come just for me. 

"Mel, you need to hang on," begs Edward, stepping out of the light and scooping me into his arms. 

"I'm not going anywhere," I say, surprised at how weak my voice sounds. The cold from Edward's skin seeps through my clothes as he holds me close to his chest. I look over at Alice and her eyes are pitch black. I can't even see her breathing. 

"Go Alice!" demands Edward. Alice stares for a moment longer and then her head tilts in a tight nod. I don't even see her move, but one second she is there and then she is gone. "Hold on Mel, you will be fine." He sounds breathless and his voice is almost a growl. 

I focus my energy on staying awake. I look up at him and notice that his jaw is clenched so tight that the veins in his neck are raised. Then I notice my surroundings. We are no longer in Cal's house. We are somewhere in the forest, surrounded by trees, but they are whipping past so fast they are merely a green blur. 

"What are you?" I whisper and notice how his eyes darken and flash. 

"It isn't important. Once Carlisle fixes you up, I will take you home and leave you alone." His voice is tortured with an ancient sadness. 

"Why? What did I do?" I ask confused. At that he drops his agonized gaze to my face. 

"What do you mean? You didn't do anything. I am leaving you alone because of what I am. It will be better for you...safer." He looks away again and I notice that he as slowed. Shock flickers through me as I realize we are already at his house. He lays me gently on a couch and then a man who can only be considered an angel is hovering over me as Edward describes what happened. He is talking so fast I can barely understand the basics. 

As soon as he is done, the Adonis like man that must be his father disappears, only to reappear seconds later holding a large black bag. He pulls out a pair of scissors and cuts off my shirt. Edward is standing behind Carlisle and as soon as the ripped remains of my shirt falls away, he turns his head. His hands are tight fists at his sides. After a minute and a couple shots the pain is gone. I manage to stay awake while Carlisle stitches up all of the cuts and then Alice appears with a new shirt. She helps me sit up and pull it on while Carlisle digs through his bag and pulls out 2 white pills. 

"Take these. They will help the pain and let you get some rest. You should come back and see me in two weeks," says Carlisle in a musical voice. 

"Thank you sir," I tell him and pop the pills in my mouth. 

"Please, call me Carlisle," he says and then turns to Edward. He doesn't say anything, but he just stares for a moment and then Edward apparently answers some unasked question. 

"I'm going to tell her the truth." He sounds resigned and before Carlisle slips away, he places a hand on Edwards shoulder and nods. Then we are alone. 

"I should get you home. I will explain everything to you there," he says and once again scoops me into his arms. 

"You will tell me what is going on?" I ask. 

"I will tell you everything." 

He runs back to Cal's house with me in his arms and then he drives my bike home with me on the back. Once there, he parks the bike in the garage and helps me to the door. 

"I will be waiting for you in your room," he says and then he is gone. 

Thoroughly confused, I walk inside and am greeted by Sylus's screaming cry. My grandma is sitting in her rocking chair with Sylus on her lap, rocking back and forth frantically. She has a bottle in one hand and his pacifier in the other.