Girl's Night Out

"Good morning Papa."

Jefferson looked up from the pan where he was scrambling some eggs at the sound of his daughter's voice. He summoned his strength and offered her a smile which she returned before returning to his cooking. He was still dressed in his clothes from the previous night, though they were slightly rumpled from a night of unrest. After the events with Ana he had been unable to relax, and he spent the night busying himself with meaningless tasks to keep his mind occupied.

"There are waffles on the table," he called to her. When he didn't hear a response he glanced over to see she was already sitting down, to busy eating to answer him. He chuckled.

Once his eggs were ready he dumped them on to a plate and carried it over to the table to join her. By the time he sat down she was already finishing up her first waffle and reaching for a second. They ate in peaceful silence for a few moments, before Grace's curiosity bubbled over.

"So...?" she said in between bites.

Jefferson glanced up at her. "What?"

She leaned forward, smiling inquisitively. "You know, last night?"

He sighed. "Grace..."

"Oh come on Papa," she pleaded. "I heard you playing last night. You haven't done that since mother died." Jefferson stared at his plate, his appetite suddenly lost. "You like her, don't you?" He only blushed in response, but that was all the answer she seemed to need. Beaming, she exclaimed, "You do!"

"Grace," he said. When she still would not settle down he repeated insistently, "Grace! It's not... It's not that simple." She stared up at him, her eyes filled with innocent confusion. "Someday you'll understand."

They were interrupted by a pounding on the front door. The two of them shared a look of puzzlement. "Wait here," Jefferson instructed before getting up to answer it. He ran his hand through his unkempt hair in a desperate attempt to straighten it before opening the door. He was shocked to find Regina standing on the other side, her nostrils flaring as she stared him down.

"Regina," he said smiling at her dryly. "What an..." he paused, searching for the right word. "Unexpected surprise."

She ignored his pleasantries. "What is she doing here?"

"I believe the only intruder here is you," He replied calmly.

"Don't get funny with me hatter," she snapped. "Her. The one I sent you to get rid of." He maintained his relaxed demeanor as she snarled in his face. "You were supposed to dispose of her, you said she was dead."

"No," he said, cutting her off. "I said she was as good as dead. I guess she must have managed to survive."

"Why you little..."

"Papa?"

Regina's gaze fell to something behind Jefferson. "Well. It looks like you've found your dear Grace."

Anger flashed in his eyes when she said her name. "Regina I suggest you leave before you do something you regret."

She scoffed. "Are you threatening me?"

"No. I'm giving you a chance to turn back. I'm sure Henry wouldn't like to find out his mother hurt his best friend or her family."

Regina's gaze flicked back to Grace before softening slightly. "Fine," she said. "But this isn't the last of this." And with that she left.

000

Emma took a seat in the booth across from Ana who currently had her forehead resting on the table in front of a steaming cup of tea.

The Princess and The HatterOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara