Friends and Foes

"Welcome to Corona."

The group stood before the bridge that lead into the kingdom. Even at that distance, the city looked run down. Many of the buildings were in shambles and the castle that was perched at center of it all looked bleak.

"It's not quite what I remember it," Jefferson commented.

"Even though Corona wasn't hit by the curse, some of it's darkness seeped through and now plagues this land," Scarlet explained. "No one can really explain it, but nothing around here has been the same since. It's almost like all the light is gone."
"I don't care what this place looks like as long as I can find my son," Emma said.

"It would be better if I wait here," Scarlet said. "I don't exactly have a lot of friends in the city."

Ana was about to object but Jefferson spoke up. "In that case I should probably stay back too. I'll keep an eye on her."

Ana wasn't quite sure leaving them alone was the best idea, but wasn't going to waste time arguing. "Fine," she agreed. With a second thought, she used her magic to bind Scarlet's hands with rope. "In case you get any ideas."

"This is actually giving me quite a few ideas," the redhead quipped. Ana threw in a piece of tape over her mouth for good measure.

"We'll be back soon," Ana promised and gave Jefferson a quick kiss goodbye. With a final glare at Scarlet, she followed the rest of the group into the city.

"It might be a good idea if we split into groups," Mary Margret suggested as they walked. "We'll cover more ground."

"Ok," Emma agreed. "I'll go with Ana. We'll meet back here at sundown."

000

Henry wrinkled his nose in disgust as he brushed cobwebs out of his way. "Where exactly are we?"

"The tunnels under the castle," Flynn Rider called over his shoulder as he lead the way. "Somewhere around here should be the tunnel that will lead you straight to the crown."

"Why do they even have these tunnels?" Henry asked.

"Their escape routes for the royal family, should disaster ever strike," Rider explained.

"And how do you know about them?"

Henry could practically hear the cocky smirk in his voice as he replied, "I'm surprisingly resourceful." As they came around a bend Flynn stopped and exclaimed, "Ah, here we are."

'Here' wasn't exactly much. There was a hole in the wall about Henry's height and only wide enough for him to fit through if he went in sideways. He frowned. "I don't see how anyone could escape through there."

"It opens up after a while. They started to close it off but didn't quite finish," Flynn explained. "Now, once you're in there keep going till you see a ladder. That will take you up in to the crown room. Make sure you're quiet, because there will be guards there with their backs to you. Grab the crown and get out of there as quickly as possible. I'll be here waiting for you."

"What if the guards catch me?"

"Then... I hope you don't mind the dungeon."

Henry swallowed hard, not feeling quite reassured. "Are you having second thoughts?" Flynn questioned. "I guess I can always find another hero to help me reclaim my kingdom."

"No, I can do it," Henry promised. He took a deep breath and turned to the tunnel. "Here I go," he mumbled, and plunged into the darkness.

000