Do it all alone

*maybe triggering for some? Idk not rape or suicide or anything like that, it contains sad parts though.*

David's POV

"Daddy. Can you help me?" Haley walks towards me with a hair tie in her hands. "Of course babe. What do you need me to do?" "Can you do my hair in a ponytail." My 4 year old daughter looks at me with an asking face. "Eh sure." I grab the hair tie from her small hand and tell her to turn around.

I grab her hair and bring it together. With a confused face I look at the hair I'm holding. "Ehm I don't really know how to do this baby. But I'll try." I put the tie around her hair and wrap it around twice. "Is it okay like this?" I ask. Haley runs of to the mirror. She comes back and gives me a hug. "Thanks daddy." She pecks my cheek. I chuckle and hold her close to me.

Today Haley has her first dance class. She's been wanting this for a long time and today's finally the day it's gonna happen. "Are you ready bub?" I ask. She nods frantically, running towards the door. "Let's go!" She yells. I chuckle and follow after her.

***

I'm sitting on a chair at the side of the dance class, watching my little girl swirl around and follow the instructions of the teacher. I look around, I'm the only dad here, surrounded by moms.

After a while I see Haley getting less and less exited. She leans against the wall looking around. I see her ask something to her teacher. Next she runs out of the room. I look around and everyone seems pretty confused. Leaving my stuff on the chair I run after her.

I walk past the toilets and hear crying sounds from the girls bathroom. "Haley? Babe are you in here?" I softly knock on the door. "No she's not!" I hear her yell back. I smile.

Opening the door I see the small girl standing there, tears streaming down her face. "Babygirl what's wrong??" I engulf her in a hug. "I- I want mommy to be here." She stutters in my neck. I close my eyes, my heart breaking. "Everyone's mommy's here! Except mine!" She cries. I rub her back. "I know love. I'm so sorry." I close a toilet seat and sit on it, putting Haley on my lap. "She may be not here. But I'm here." I say. "No ones daddy is here, yours is. You're special." She looks up at me with big eyes. I wipe the tears off her face. "Am I really?" "Yes you are. Superspecial." A soft smile slowly creeps on her face again. "Do you want to go back in there?" I ask, she nods. Together we walk back into the room. Everyone stares at us and Haley squeezes my hand. I kiss her head and let go. She immediately runs back to the other girls and starts dancing again. I sit back between the other moms, smiling at my child.

***

I sit on the couch after I put Haley to bed. I sigh as I look at the picture of my wife in my hands. "You should've seen her today babe. She's gonna be an amazing dancer, just like you. Ugh I miss you so much, Haley does too. Everything's so hard without you, love. And Haley is jealous of the other moms. I think I'm gonna sleep too. Goodnight babe." I kiss the picture and put it back on the table.

Almost exactly a year ago Liza died. My everything, and the mother of our child. I don't know how to deal with everything without her. I live for Haley, I don't know what I'd do without her. She's the one thing that cheers me up.

I walk towards my room but stand still when I hear soft mumbling coming from Haley's room. I put my ear against the door to hear it better. "Did you see me dance today? Do you think I was good? I like it! And I know why you like it now. All the other moms were there, but daddy does his best. Next week I'm going to dance class again!"

My heart melts at the voice of the little girl. I slowly open the door and look inside. Haley is standing on her bed, lifting the curtain and looking up to the sky.