RIP, George Harrison... My Sun...

"Love one another

"Love one another..."

These were the words uttered by George Harrison as he passed away after a long fight with Cancer. It has been sixteen years since we lost a legend. I was 12 when this happened and unknown to the fact that it'll take me 16 years to realise what a loss it was. 

Known as the the 'quiet' Beatle, George was the first amongst the four to embrace Eastern values and Hinduism. His interest in Sitar was aroused when he heard it in a scene from the film 'Help!' He eventually learnt how to play it from Pt. Ravi Shankar, not to become a classical raga player, but to be able to use the sitar in Beatles music.

He was born in Wavertree, Liverpool in 1942, eight months after Paul McCartney and two years after John Lennon. He experienced his 'rock 'n roll epiphany', "When I was about 12 or 13 riding my bike and I heard Heartbreak Hotel coming out of somebody's house.."  He met Paul McCartney while on the bus to school, becoming a close friend. Paul later tried to get George in the skiffle band he was in, The Quarrymen and succeeded.

His fascination in music, however, took its toll on his school career and he left the Liverpool Institute in 1959 with only one exam pass, in art. However, the following year his musical career began on a serious note when the re-named Beatles were booked to play for four months in a club in Hamburg's Reeperbahn.

The next eight years saw the Beatles become the most famous entertainers in the world and then implode. Relatively isolated due to John and Paul's volatile songwriting partnership, he did have his share of fame.

He also got to sing at least one number on each album with 'Do You Want To Know A Secret?' on the debut album. Eventually, the Beatles agreed to record his compositions, of which, 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' (from the White Album),    'Within You Without You' (from Sgt Pepper), and 'Here Comes The Sun' and 'Something' (from Abbey Road) were among the most notable.

As the Beatles headed towards a breakdown, he was the first of the group to record and succeed as a solo artist. He made twoinstrumental albums - Wonderwall Music and Electronic Sound - beforeco-producing the three-LP set All Things Must Pass with Phil Spector and arange of eminent performers.

His life was filled with laughter and even his death was filled with laughter. In the hospital, he asked the nurses to put fish and chips in his IV.

He was previously a heavy smoker and had revealed he had undergone treatment for throat cancer. After the break-in by a fan in December 1999, he developed lung cancer and received major surgery for the disease in America. His death follows last-hope treatment in Switzerland for a tumour on his brain.

RIP George Harrison... You will always be remembered as the amazing guitarist of the Fab Four. Love you always...

Hare Krishna 🕉 Shanti...