Chapter Two: Lives in Dreams

The is out setting, and the air was warm. Emily is running down a beach. Feet making tiny splashes in the water as she runs. A boy about a year older than her with the same brown hair and eyes, running along did her as they both laugh.

"Slow down," The boy says. "We've been running for over an hour."

Emily stopped and looked at the boy with a happy smile. The saltwater going just past her ankles.

"Does that mean I win?" Emily asked with a hint of mischief in her voice.

"We weren't racing Emily!" He said in shock.

Emily splashed him with water and ran off.

"Well, we are now Chris!"

Chris wiped the water out of his eyes and took off running after Emily.

The sun went down and they were both laying in the sand looking up at the stars. The night sea air had a salty crisp to it, but that didn't bother Emily. She just breathed in as much as she could, so she could savor the smell. She loved the sea, and she longed to live there.

"Look the moon is rising." Chris said and looked at her.

Emily leaned in and gave him a hug.

"I wish it was like this...." Emily said to herself under her breath.

They stated like that for a while. Just looking at the stars. A storm rolled in, so they watched the lighting over the ocean. It was so peaceful, so perfect, so-

"EMILY!"

The image vanished. She was no longer on a beach with her brother. She was in her room. Alone once again.

"EMILY" her mother called from the next room.

"Yeah. What is it, mom!" Emily called back.

"..........."

"What is it, mom!" She called again.

".........."

Again no answer. She opened her door to see what she wanted. Emily found her on her computer doing work.

"What were you doing in there Emily?" Her mom asked. "I called you three times."

"Stuff," Emily said. "Just stuff."

Emily never told her mother about the daydreaming. Emily had done some research on it to see if anyone else did what she did. She found out that what she does is called Maladaptive Daydreaming, and that it can happen to people who have Insomnia and ADHD. She has both. It helped her to know that there were others out there like her.

She did once try to tell her mom about it when she found out what it was called, but it didn't go so well. Her mom yelled at her saying that she was just making it up because she was spending to much time in her room. It was the same way when she tried to tell her anything that wasn't her mother's standard of "normal".

"I have good and bad news." Her mom began. "What do you want to her first?"

"Good?" Emily said.

"Well, your package came in today."

YES! She had been waiting two weeks for that package. It was a T-shirt from one of her favorite shows.

"Now the bad news...." Her mom said sadly.

Emily sat down on the chair next to her mom.

"I am just going to tell you flat out." Her mother began. "I'm sorry to tell you this..... Finn is moving."

"What?" She said in a small voice.

Emily's mom told her more about it, but she didn't hear much of it.

Finn. One of Emily's closest friends. She has known him for the past fourteen years. Finn was six years older than her. She viewed him as a member of her family.

"I have something I need to finish," Emily said and went back into her room.

Once the door was closed she let the tears flow. This has happened to her before. Her best friend Diana moved away a few years before, and Emily is still trying to get over it.

She put on her headphones and put the music on full.

"Why does this always happen?" She said to herself and closed her eyes.

The music kept playing. Then someone else was sitting with her on her bed.

She opened the eyes in her mind.

She saw James, and she felt a little better. She still cried, but it had gone from sobbing to a quite cry here and there.

"I know," James said holding her in his arms as she cried. "I know."

James was the one who is in most of her daydreams one way or another. She knows what he looks like, what he acts like, how he movie, but she can't describe it. It would be like trying to tell someone who has never seen what a color is.

"Come on," He said with a smile that made Emily's body fell warm inside. He took the back of her hand and kissed it lightly. "Let's change that mood of yours. It kills me to see you sad like this."

She looked at him and she let her mind do all the work.

"Where to?" She asked.

He smiled at her.

"Anywhere you want."

With that, they were off on their next adventure.