Boss / Wife

/'You're always one decision away from a totally different life.'
-Anonymous/

The stilted pain in my back force me out of the deep slumber. My eyes are still close but the needle in my arms and the dreaded smell of dextrose in the air, im pretty sure i am where I was 4 weeks ago, in a hospital bed. I shake my shoulder and rotate my neck trying to head start my dormant muscles.

With much precaution, i squinted the sunshine streaming in through the transparent window. Much to my surprise, nakabaluktot si Glaiza sa dulo ng higaan at natutulog habang nakahawak sa paa ko ang isang kamay. Wala akong idea kung gaano ako katagal nawalan ng malay, but she's still in the same clothes that she's wearing the night I fainted. Biglang kinurot ang puso ko habang tinitingnan siya, bakas sa kanya ang pagod at puyat.

Medyo nagkakadikit pa ang labi ko, but I force myself to speak.

"Glai...Glai..."

Napabalikwas siya ng gising at biglang tumayo, pasimple pa itong nagpunas ng laway.

"Yes Rhi? Kamusta pakiramdam mo? May masakit pa ba? Kumikirot pa? Dito?"

Nagkanda bulol-bulol pa siya sa pagsasalita habang chini-check ng ulo ko.

"What happened to me Glai?"

Naupo siya sa gilid ng kama sabay hawak sa kamay ko. Malungkot ang expression ng mukha niya and I totally understand why.

"I came running back to you the moment I walk away Rhi...nawalan ka na ng malay pagbalik ko, kaya ito ka ngayon. Nothing to worry, okay naman ang vitals at test results, bumagsak lang dugo mo kaya ka nawalan ka ng malay."

"Are you still mad at me?"

She shake her head and kiss the back of my hand, nakatingin lang ako sa kanya, napaka-swerte ko, her love is as pure as her heart. Tears started to form in the corner of my eyes, I wipe it using the sleeve of my white hospital gown.

"I was never mad at you Rhi, 'I love you as always' diba? Nasaktan lang ako because you were making major decision without talking to me, other than being your doctor, im your fiancée right?"

I nod while hugging her arms, she wipes my tears habang siya mismo naiiyak na din.

"Im sorry Glai, you know how much I love working and being active, I just....need your support on this one. Im sorry at hindi kita na-involve sa decision na to, I promise next time I'll be more open. Please Glai...payagan mo na ako."

She push my hand bago tumayo, she got so pissed in a matter of seconds. Walang tigil ang iling niya. Im a tough cookie, im sure mapapapayag ko siya.

"You really dont understand where im coming from, dont you Rhian? You had Unruptured Brain Aneurysm. You should try checking it in Google so you'll understand how lucky you are to survive. It was a life and death operation Rhi, one single mistake and we could have lost you. We have to gamble with the 30% survival rate."

"Please stop exaggerating things Glaiza. Kaya nga iinom ng gamot diba?"

I raise my voice in irritation. Bumibigat na ang paghinga ko sa inis, my jaw starts to clenched. Glaiza's cheek are burning red.

"Im not exaggerating things! Stop being so impulsive Rhian, up to this minute your aneurysm is just inside your skull, stagnant, walang assurance that it would stay that way for God knows how long. Instead of focusing on our wedding, your prioritizing your damn work?"

"Why do you have to be so difficult Glaiza."

I shake my head sabay hampas sa bakanting unan. Madiin kong sinandal ang sarili sa headboard. She's ranting and im not backing down.