In The Real World

/'There comes a day when you realize that turning the page is the best feeling in the world - because you realize there's so much more to the book than the page you got stuck on.'
-Anonymous/

Glaiza
I close my locker and check my bag one last time. I walk out of my clinic with a heavy heart, i have one casualty today. Our profession train us to make a clear line between professional work and personal emotion, but when you get to know them, learn their story and spend some time together, you really get affected.
I walk in the elevator and press the button to the ground floor. I drop by the Releasing Office to forward the medical abstract and signed death certificate.
The decorated reception signifies the status of the medical facility. From the shiny grey granite to the marvelous hanging chandelier plus the authentic paintings on the wall, this place could be mistaken for a 5 star hotel if not for the medical professionals that pace back and forth in their lab gown and stetoscope.
I walk back to the elevator and head for the basement parking. I press my key and the royal blue car beep in deactivation. I start the engine before buckling up.
It was a stressful day, check in as early as 5am and its close to 9pm. In two weeks time ill finish my fellowship, its the last stage of my medical professional career. After passing the board exam for Physical Theraphy, i push through with medicine for 3 years.
Another 3 years for my residency, this is the period of advance training in my medical specialty after graduating from med school, a pre requisite for licensing.
Yet another 3 years for my fellowship, i need this to practice in other fields related to my specialty like neurology, cardiology and such.

After a few stop and go, I reached my assigned parking spot at the condominium building where I'm staying. I walk to the silent corridor with my boots making authoritative sound against the floor.
I input my alphanumeric entry code to the digitally operated door lock.
My tired body is already looking for the bed but my hungry stomach is leading me to the kitchen. I open the fridge and mix myself some veggie salad.
My unit has two medium size bedroom with a kitchen directly connected to the dining area and a spacious sofa with 60 inch high definition flat screen TV.
The prestigious hospital where I underwent my residency offer me a job and a fellowship grant right after I got my license. My Dad was so proud of me, seldom does the hospital make that offer so I jump into it.
My phone ring, I check the time, 11pm.

"Yes Megan?"

Yes, it's Megan Lynne Young, my high school flame. We reconnected 5 years ago, she's a dentist by profession but a whooping beauty queen by choice. Three years ago, she represented our country for the international contest Miss World and ultimately won the prestigious title.

"I'm on my way to your unit G, are you home na?"

"Yeah, anong meron?"

She giggle on the other line. I bite on my lettuce.

"I feel like celebrating G, I got a new endorsement for an international cosmetic company."

I take off my earrings and Rolex watch. Damn I'm so tired already.

"Really? Congrats M, I don't mean to be a bus kill but I had a long day and...."

"Please G..I'm almost there na, few blocks away. I brought some Hawaiian Pizza and.....I brought my red lingerie with me, your favorite."

I finished off my food and send my plate to the sink. I turn off the kitchen lights and turn on the air conditioning in my room.

"Okay, I'm waiting."

"Yes, see you G."

"Bye."

I run to the shower for my evening routine. I let the hot water wash away all the toxic effect of this day. The day after tomorrow, I'll be assisting a senior surgeon do a brain surgery on a 25 year old girl, there's a 50/50 chance of survival because her vital signs has been inconsistent for weeks now. I hate surgeries, my superior has been encouraging me to pursue being a surgeon but I don't think I have the balls for it.
I walk out of the shower in my white robe, my hair's still dripping.