Chapter 1

August 18, 2014

Flowers gripped by an arthritic hand, haunted eyes gazed toward a headstone as they did every year on that date without fail. Forty-six years had passed since... A head shaking and those eyes filling with tears, the visitor carefully sat upon the grass, the scent from a recent mowing reaching their nostrils.

Forty-six years, and yet the visitor clearly remembered that day. They suspected that if they ever developed dementia or Alzheimer's, those images couldn't possibly fade. Not for the first time, they wished a magical pill had been invented in order to purposefully forget negative memories. However, perhaps the visitor wasn't meant to forget, as remembering, recalling, regretting was the least they could do.

Eyes shutting, they brought a bouquet of flowers to their nose, the soft petals tickling while they deeply inhaled. Such a lovely and delicate scent...just like her. Damn, even after working an eight hour shift she always managed to smell so divine.

~~~~~~~~~~

June 23, 1968

A stomach growling for food, and a heart hammering for love, Christine McCoy jauntily walked into the Southern town's most popular barbeque restaurant without an ounce of hesitance. Sharing smiles with other frequent patrons, and even smiling at the few who stared toward her with much peculiarity, she opted to occupy a stool at the lunch counter, an elderly gentleman on her right, and the stool to her left empty.

"How're you doing on this mighty sultry day, Mr. Hopkins?" Christine inquired while reaching toward the stack of menus, although she already knew what she wanted. Instead of opening, she utilized it as a fan.

He chucked while bringing the glass of iced tea to his lips. "Sultry? That's a good word, Ms. Christine." Several times she asked him to refer to her by her preferred nickname Chris, yet he seemed determined to add the 'tine' and a miss to it. From most, that would have annoyed her greatly, but she adored the seventy-eight year old's company so much, that she didn't really mind.

"Thank you!" She grinned while attempting to prevent further beads of sweat from forming. "I've been reading a dictionary." Winking at him, she waited until he took a couple pulls from his beverage. "So, how are you?"

"Doing well. Tomorrow headed to my daughter and son-in-law's house for a week long visit. Looking forward to spending time with the grandkids."

"That sounds wonderful." Christine's smile practically reached from one ear to the other. "How many grandkids do you have again?" She spent the next few minutes fanning herself while paying attention as Mr. Hopkins briefed her on his four grandchildren. By the time he finished, an employee slid a glass of iced tea in front of her. Heart beginning to hammer underneath her chest, Christine uttered a soft thank you.

"You're welcome, Chris." A tiny smile playing on her lips, she leaned on the counter with a pencil tucked behind her ear. Looking toward Mr. Hopkins whose plate was nearly empty, the waitress asked if he required anything else.

Shaking his head, he pushed the plate in her direction. "No thank you, sweetheart. As usual, everything was delicious." Standing, he removed a wallet from his back pocket, soon placing a few bills, which included a tip, on the counter. Hat in hand, he wished them both a good day, promising Christine that he would tell her all about his trip upon his return.

Once he was out of earshot, the waitress focused on Christine. "And you, Chris? What are you in the mood for?"

Hazel eyes twinkling, she glanced around before leaning as far as she could toward the other young woman. Voice reduced to a whisper, she replied, "Lucy, I'm certain you know the answer to that."