Chapter Twenty-Two

Flora fidgets impatiently as I study two display model cellphones the clerk has set on the glass counter for me to look over, and I mutter, "I don't know which one is the better one."

This launches the clerk into an enthusiastic sales pitch for each, detailing specs about the phones that fly completely over my head, though Flora of course understands all the lingo perfectly. I feel ridiculously inept and stupid as Flora takes over the conversation and the clerk devotes his attention to her, even though I'm the one dishing out what Jared calls my hard-earned money to purchase the devices.

Hard-earned indeed. Other than the first few days after Jared's release from the hospital when he needed the most hands-on assistance, I wouldn't call my job difficult.

Behind us, two men appearing to be unobtrusive wait by the exit. My bodyguards. I have bodyguards, I think with a touch of surreal amusement. Not all the time—that would drive me insane, though they're nice enough, I guess—but when I'm going out into a crowded and very public place, David and Gene are with me. Jimmy focuses primarily on the residence, while the two new security personnel go with Jared and I whenever we leave the compound.

"The iPhone X," I announce, interrupting the clerk's sales pitch. "Two of them, please."

The clerk smiles broadly, and it's then that I figure out he works on commission. Quickly I choose the colors, sticking with plain white for me and rose gold for Shelby. The clerk fetches the phones, cases and extras to go with them. He begins to ring everything up and I'm cringing all the while. Good God, they're just phones, and I'm shelling out what once was nearly a month's pay.

David and Gene flank us as we leave the store. "I knew you'd go for the iPhone," Flora says. "Jared can help you guys figure out all the stuff on them. I'm an Android girl, so I'm not super familiar with the iOS."

I shoot Flora a sideways glance. "Like I'm supposed to know what that means."

"Never mind," Flora grins. She spots a Starbucks near the mall food court. "Do you have to be back anytime soon?"

"Not really. Jared's in the studio with the guys, and then some people are coming by to go over a contract or something." We approach the Starbucks counter and I add, "Then I guess Danica and Carrie are back from their vacations and he has some stuff to go over with them, too."

"Your boy wants to get himself back in the game," Flora nods. "I knew he would as soon as he got the cast off. He's going to be running himself ragged trying to make up for the down time. Has he committed to anything for Awards Season yet? It's coming up in just a few weeks."

I shrug. "He hasn't said anything about that. What exactly is 'Awards Season', anyway? I keep hearing about it."

Flora glances at me. "Music awards, film awards. You know, the EMA's, MTV Music Awards, Golden Globes, SAGs, Academy Awards, Grammys. A lot of networking happens, a lot of deals are born at the awards shows. But they're also an excuse to get dressed up in the finest of Armani, Balmain, Gucci, to parade down the red carpet and be seen..." her voice trails off as we reach the counter. "A small vanilla latte, please," she tells the barista. "You want anything?" she asks me.

"A small mocha," I answer, and then I add, "No whip. Almond milk, please."

Flora raises an eyebrow. "You've embraced the vegan life?"

I grin. "It's kind of grown on me." In truth, I haven't eaten any meat, nor dairy nor eggs, since my lunch with Flora at the beginning of October. Almost a month. And I don't miss it at all. In fact, I now get a little nauseated at the smell of cooking meat when Jimmy does his weekly barbecues out by the pool.