Chapter Three: Dungeons

Mulai dari awal

      "I'm not scared of your threats." Lorenzo bit back. "Go help her."

     "I have things I need to do." King Percyus seethed.

     "Oh, yes! Since hiding in your office with a drink is a pressing matter. I apologize, Your Grace."

     The sound of Lorenzo hitting the floor barely registered in my ears before the doors were yanked open. The King's eyes were blazing, his mouth pressed into a hard line. "Come in."

     I immediately obeyed, scurrying into the room. Lorenzo was making his way to his feet, his eyes locked on the King, who shut to door behind him. My heart was beating wildly against my lungs, squeezing the air out of me with every pump. I tried to control my rapid, shallow breaths. If I didn't get myself under control I would start hyperventilating. 

     I sank to my knees on the textured rug in the middle of the room, facing the King. I tucked my tangled hair behind my ears to make sure the King would be able to see my face as he struck me. I bowed my head and folded my trembling hands tightly in my lap. 

     "Don't you dare lay a hand on her." I heard Lorenzo grind out in a strained voice.

     King Percyus scowled at him, "I wasn't going to."

     "Bullshit." I heard Lorenzo snap. "You hit her the moment you met her."

     "She did not respond to my claim. She was disrespecting me. don't pretend like you didn't see that."

     Lorenzo scoffed once more, disbelief coloring his tone. "She was too afraid to answer. That much was obvious."

     "You have a lot of nerve disrespecting me like this- threatening to take my mate and judging my actions." The Alpha's expression was tainted with anger. "Pick your punishment."

    "You're going to punish me? For pointing out your flaws?" Lorenzo's eyes sparkled with barely contained rage.

     "You've openly threatened to take my mate. A punishment is me showing you mercy."

     Lorenzo smiled grimly, "Then throw me in the dungeons. I'd spend my life in the dungeons if it meant you would treat her with the respect she deserves."

     "A week." King Percyus said. "Go."

     "Gladly." Lorenzo strode from the room, meeting the guards posted to escort him.

     The door slammed shut as he left. I cringed away from the noise, my shoulders tensed up to my ears. Guilt was crawling up my throat. I should be the one in the dungeons, not him. I was the cause of all of this turmoil. I should be the one serving the punishment.

     "You do not have to kneel." His voice was quiet.

     I quickly stood, trying to ignore the blackness that started to shroud my vision, threatening to send me into unconsciousness. I hadn't yet had my ration. I would have received it yesterday in my old pack, but at this time yesterday, we were making our journey to the Kingdom pack. I didn't dare speak on the matter, I would be fed when they deemed fit.

     "Are you well, mate?" He asked.

     "Yes, sir."

     "You're trembling."

     I swallowed hard and focused on stilling my body. "I apologize, sir. I will not let it happen again, sir."

     "You do not have to be proper, you can speak freely." He folded his hands behind his back.

     I contemplated staying silent, wondering if this was some sort of test. Beyond my better reasoning, however, I spoke. "I would like to take Beta Lorenzo's place in the dungeons, sir."