Chapter Two: Lorenzo

Start from the beginning

    "That is not a proper bed, this isn't a proper room. I can't bring that. It's a box. A rotting box." He shook his head. "I'm sorry, but I'm not bringing that."

     My heart sank and I let go of any hope I had for having a bed. "Yes, sir, sorry for asking and wasting your time."

     He only nodded, his eyes still wide with shock. We walked back upstairs, me following behind. He would occasionally look back to make sure I was following, noticing me slightly trail behind him.

     We went back out into the snow. I didn't feel the cold of my feet anymore. I couldn't tell if that was a good or bad thing. 

     The King looked between us, a silent question on his expression.

     "I'll tell you later." Beta Lorenzo muttered to his Alpha. He walked away angrily in the direction of their car.

     Fear panged in my chest, squeezing my lungs. Had I made Beta Lorenzo upset? 

     "Are you ready, mate?" The Alpha King asked.

     "Yes, Your Highness." I addressed quietly, not knowing if what I called him was appropriate or not.

    Alpha Greg had told me to call everyone sir or ma'am, nothing else unless they are of higher rank, such as alpha. But I didn't know if the King was an exception. I thought that maybe that would be acceptable.

"Don't call me that." He immediately muttered.

I swallowed nervously, I had thought wrong. "I'm sorry, sir."

"Let's go home." He said suddenly his voice getting hard, as if he were angry.

     I had made him angry. I'm so stupid. So, so stupid. 

     We entered a big black car that held only the Alpha, Beta, a few other high ranks, and myself.  I put my head down, my hands resting in my lap. I was inferior to everyone in this royal pack. Surely they had to notice. Why hadn't he rejected me yet?

     I had never ridden in a car, so when we took off, I nearly fell over. The King sighed softly and reached over me,  attaching a belt over me. It clicked into place, keeping me strapped to the seat. My eyes widened and my breathing grew faster. I had messed up.

     I flinched as he sat back down a few feet from me, not wearing the belt. I figured then that the belt must be for people who needed to be strapped down. I put my head down, scratching at my arm roughly, leaving red scratches in a form of punishment for being a bad wolf, bad enough to have to be restrained.

     I didn't know how far the trip would take. Most of the passengers fell asleep quickly after take off. The King however kept his gaze on the treeline, never once looking at me.  I stopped staring and folded my hands, picking at my nails.

     Along the torturously long trip, they had made a few stops. A few were for bathroom breaks. I spent my time huddled in a toilet stall trying not to break down in sobs. At one point, they stopped at a restaurant for dinner. I sat at the end of the table, next to the Alpha, who hadn't said more than two sentences since we left my pack. When the waiter took orders, I had assumed he would skip over me, but when he asked for my order, I had blanched. 

     I knew that my ration was not until tomorrow, so as tantalizing as it was, I had stammered out a "No, thank you, sir.". I was already facing a harsh punishment upon arrival of the Kingdom pack, I did not want to add a gluttony punishment to it. Those were never pleasant.

     I tried to hide the sounds of my stomach growling as they ate, but the Alpha King heard. His expressionless eyes bored into the side of my bowed head as I apologized profusely. He had pushed his food towards me, but when I hadn't taken it he pulled it back. He was testing me, I'm sure of it.