1 -- Bitter Beginnings

Începe de la început

One of the guys whispered in her ear, “She makes you guys sound like sluts.”

“Whatever.”

Five in the evening and the assembly hall was packed. Everyone was still in their uniforms and the boys, Tyler and Miguel, were dressed in slacks and ironed button ups. Sophia wore a plain black dress with gold detailing with gold pumps and a black blazer over it. Whiney wore a white form fitting dress that had one strap and a peacoat that hung warmly over her small frame. "It's freezing," one of the guys complained as they made their way to the stage. Everyone was still settling down as she took their seats on stage. They sat boy girl boy girl. Sophia was at the end. 

The assembly droned and on to much of their displeasure. Again, the headmaster was no where to be seen. Class representatives came up said their bit. A staff member cleared his throat and began to introduce the four students sitting on stage. Sophia began to tune in again but only caught the last bit of what he said. " ... Please come up and introduce yourselves."

"Well shoot..." her hands felt clammy and watched as her friends spoke. First was Miguel, he was apparently from New York. Whiney was of course full of energy. Tyler spoke and mentioned he was from Michigan and then it was Sophia's turn.

She took a deep breath and put on the best smile she could muster. "Hey there, I'm Sophia Levinson. I'm from California. She peered at her friends whom smiled back, then out at the crowd of strangers. " I think I speak for all of us when I say we look forward to meeting you all and having a great year." She turned back to the older man at the podium who smiled back at her. 

"Well said," She nodded because it seemed like all she could do. Her legs felt like jelly. Everyone was dismissed and the group was marched off the stage.

When the four of them made it outside, groups of people surrounded them. Whitney and Sophia were backed into a group while the guys were attacked by girls. While walking backwards Sophia turned just intime to watch a boy pushed Whitney. Stumbling to catch her,  Sophia helped her friend catch her footing. Snapping her head around, she was greeted by a boy with a distinct buzz cut.

"Hey," The figure greeted cooly, as if nothing had happened.

"Hey," She put her hand on her hips as almond shaped eyes looked back at her. 

"Uhhh..." There was an awkward moment. "So, whatsup?"

"Well, you kind of knocked my friend over. It would be nice if you apologized."

He raised an eyebrow. "No I didn't..."

"Just apologize."

"I don't apologize if I didn't do anything wrong," he retorted. The tips of his ears turned pink.

"Well Jackass, don't need to be an Dickwad." She said through gritted teeth.

A ripple of gasps escaped the lips of dozens of girls. "She didn't just call him that," Someone murmured.

"I'm Connor Von Welt. I think you owe me an apology."

"I'm Sophia Levinson, and I don’t give two shits."

Whitney placed a hand on Sophia's shoulder and whispered, "Sophia, that's the headmaster's son..."

"Well shoot me..." She thought. 

“Feel stupid yet?” A smirk plastered itself on Connor’s face.

“Yes,” She thought.

“I don’t care,” Sophia said out loud instead.

Not missing a beat, the sea of people parted for a tall older man, “Is there a problem here?”

“No, Father.” Connor grumbled.

Sophia eyed the older Von Welt. He was tall and sharply dressed in a gray suit. Headmaster Von Welt had brown hair which was slightly graying on the sides and Sophia noted the earring holes from what was probably from his younger days.

“Connor,” The older man’s gaze grazed over his son’s to Sophia and Whitney. “And who are these two lovely young ladies?”

Whitney was of course the first to introduce Sophia, herself, and then the boys. In realizing their identities, his excitement clearly rose in his tired eyes lit up, and the corners of his lips turned out unfamiliar wrinkles.

“I apologize for not being able to meet with you all sooner, things had come up…” The sentence trailed off as he shook all their hands. “It is getting late. I do not want to bother you all with anymore of my doting. However, expect to get a call from me in the near future!” The older man beamed. As if suddenly remembering something, he looked down at this wristwatch, he said, “I must get going, I will hopefully see you all, soon.”

The students watched as the headmaster’s figure became smaller and smaller in the distance. Connor and Sophia’s attention went back to each other.

“Why can’t you be nice like him?” Sophia asked jokingly. She had forgotten that they were arguing earlier.

Anger rose in Connor’s face. “You don’t know the first think about me,” he hissed.

Sophia’s eyes widened at his change in tone. Too prideful to back down she responded with, “Good because I don’t intend to ever get to know you,” she then proceeded to hook arms with Whitney and walk away. “Just because he is the headmaster’s son, he thinks he’s all that…” Sophia thought disgustedly.

Connor watched as the brunette walked off with a sway in her walk as if to say she didn’t give a care in the world about anything. “The nerve that girl has…” he thought. “Her first day here and just cause my father is in favor of her, she thinks she’s all that...” His fists clenched tightly.

“Hey man,” A hand rested on Connor’s broad shoulder, “Let’s go. You still want to catch that movie tonight right?” Connor nodded and walked with his friends toward the main gate into town.

Students weren’t allowed off campus on school nights but Connor being who he is, managed to go out, no strings attached. 

After the movie Connor and his friends walked through the chilly streets on their way to a bar to grab a bite to eat. They took seats at a table and proceeded to ordered a round of drinks and their food. As they talked, Connor noticed a girl being harassed by a man that obviously had a little too much to drink.

“I told you, I am not interested,” a familiar voice snapped. “Shove off!” The man stumbled back a little from the push but gave a deep chuckle.

“I like a girl that puts up a little fight.” He grabbed her by the wrist. Connor leaned over to get a better look at the girl. The young woman with brunette hair struggled to shake him off from across the table. 

“Shit, what’s her name?” Connor thought. The busy crowd only grew as the evening got later. He looked over at his buddies who were oblivious to the scene going on not far off. “Hey guys, I got to go. Grab my food to go and give to be back at the dorms alright?” He didn’t wait for a reply. The guys nodded and continued with their conversation. Connor looked back to the table; the young woman wasn’t there anymore. He scanned the room; she was being dragged out the back door.

Pushing through the crowd, Connor tried to get to the girl as quickly as he could. As soon as he was in arm’s length, the three of them, the girl, the drunk, and himself, were outside. Grabbing on to the girls free hand he pulled her in closer. The drunk let go. “Hey, mind your own business kid.”

The drunk had thrusted a palm into Connor’s chest. Connor pushed the girl behind him, and hit the drunk square in face. The drunk bent down to his knees and cradled his nose while screaming a string of vulgar words.

Turning around he looked the girl straight in the eyes and beamed at her, “Sophia Levinson,” He said through labored breaths. “I think you owe me,” his lips curled in a seductive smile.

The groaning became louder as the drunk man stumbled to regain his footing. Looking from the drunk to Sophia, one of his large hands wrapped around her wrist and he said, “But for now… run.”